Use of briquets or lump charcoal in electric smokers?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jaybird1103

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 12, 2013
I was wondering if charcoal briquets or lump charcoal can be used in electric smokers along with the smoking wood? I know they can't in the Brinkmann Electric Smoker because they use lava rock, but can they be used in smokers like the MES, Smoky Mountain Series by Landmann, or Char-Broil Electric Smokers?

Smokin tex recommends putting a little charcoal in the box if you want a smoke ring on your brisket because it contains nitrates, which create the pinkish color. I think they're referring to lump, Never tried it. I just use very small amounts of wood chunks or chips in my 1400.

Someone more knowledgeable will help out, I'm sure.

ralphed

I started using a briquet or two in my Smokin-It # 3 and noticed a difference in flavor that I enjoy. I never really noticed the ring showing up, but it does impart the charcoal flavor that I love. I use it on all meat now, I do not use it for cheese though.

I see this is nearly a year old post.  So Ralphed did you try the charcoal ?

I have a 1400 and am doing a brisket tomorrow. Because of the filler and additives in kingsford and such, I am guessing that they mean to use lump. I have a bag of royal oak lump going to try it tomorrow.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky