Use Jeff's R ub for grilling pork ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tom welsh

Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
Usually I smoke pork ribs using mustard and lots of Jeff's Rub with great results. This time I am NOT using the smoker but just grilling the ribs.  Question: should I use Jeff's Rub for grilling or will its sugar content cause burning, like sweet barbecue sauces so often do?  Am I better off using something like the Texas Rub, which has no sugar? Thanks!

Tom-

It all depends on the temp you are cooking at.  Once sugar hits 350 degrees it starts to burn and develop a bitter taste.  Grilling on a lower heat works well with ribs anyway, so I would hold your grill temp around 325-340 and you will be fine.  If you plan on grilling hotter you may want to steer away from using a rub with a high sugar content.

Good Luck!

Smoke ON!

- Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky