Upgrading to a quality electric smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Window is nice but after a couple hrs into the cook you can't see thru it anyhow. I would suggest going with the 40" also. I along with others have done the mods ( PID & Mailbox mod) , it is a set it and forget it smoker.
20181230_082211.jpg

Im a little overwhelmed with all the different models to choose from. I had no idea there were so many of the same kind. I think I will just go for the 40" model for its better to have more space than not enough.
I would like a window but I dont have to have stainless.
Need the side chip burner and prefer digital with some kind of bluetooth or IR remote would be nice.
It sounds like a good warranty is in order with the digital boards.
Where is the best recommended place to get this?

I have you covered buddy.
Academy has had the best MES deals for the past 6+ years around this holiday sales time of year.

Here is a 40inch for $199 right now:

To me 40inch is the way to go, the 30inch is just way too small when doing ribs, briskets, and bigger items. You end up having to cut them up to fit in the 30 inch :(

Bluetooth is always being reported as never working properly so I would recommend you deprioritize that feature for sure haha.

To ME the window is very overrated. Mine got blacked out black with every smoke and once there is enough smoke rolling inside you cant see the meat through the smoke fog very well anyhow. Some like it and clean it after every smoke, but just think about all the stick burners that never run a window so its even close to being a necessity or useful for making great bbq.
This is all up to you though.

The MES temp probe and meat probe are always off so if you could save money and get one without a meat probe that would be wise.

Finally with the AMNPS tray you can produce smoke for up to 12 hours hassle free :)
All of us electric guys abandon or never use the chip load because the AMNPS + pellets is just so much better AND it produces perfect smoke with no effort where the chips are hit or miss.

Finally, Finally, to me the best MES is one you buy on Craigslist.org or Facebook for like $40-$50, you wash out at the car wash, and then do the simple rewire (cut 4 wire ends, splice to make 2 wires) and throw a $150 Auber PID controller on to it. That will outperform any MES brand new or not you could ever buy :)

I hope this helps :)

Reactions: Skiddy and MJB05615
Well that is the one I would get but damn the nearest one is 100 miles away and they dont deliver. Ill try to search that model # elsewhere. Thanks for the link.

Reactions: tallbm
I've had the 30" and 40", it's a natural evolution thing. I'd suggest bypassing the window - it's neat, but, doesn't add to the cooking capability, may be a heat-loss part of the smoker, and requires constant cleaning if you want to view through the window. Basically, it costs more, adds nothing to the cooking capability, and requires more maintenance.

I've had the amnps since day one. When it works, it is wonderful. It works about 1/2 the time. After 5 years using it, I can not say that I've found any method to make it work consistently. It's a very nice add-on, since when it doesn't work all you have to do is keep feeding the chip tray - no big loss.

Keep your eye out for Rural King, Menards, Walmart, Orscheln's to have sales on the MES 40.

Good luck.

Reactions: tallbm
I've had the 30" and 40", it's a natural evolution thing. I'd suggest bypassing the window - it's neat, but, doesn't add to the cooking capability, may be a heat-loss part of the smoker, and requires constant cleaning if you want to view through the window. Basically, it costs more, adds nothing to the cooking capability, and requires more maintenance.

I've had the amnps since day one. When it works, it is wonderful. It works about 1/2 the time. After 5 years using it, I can not say that I've found any method to make it work consistently. It's a very nice add-on, since when it doesn't work all you have to do is keep feeding the chip tray - no big loss.

Keep your eye out for Rural King, Menards, Walmart, Orscheln's to have sales on the MES 40.

Good luck.

Hi there and welcome!

There are some tricks to making the AMNPS work consistently with pellets. The MES30 can give you problems for sure. Microwaving pellets properly helps and there is always the mailbox mod. Mailbox mod + microwaving pellets properly usually solves any issues with AMNPS consistency :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky