Upcoming smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

short one

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 9, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Friend called and want to smoke this weekend, Feb 17. They said they had 6 slabs, 2butts, 2 turks, some chicks, and what ever I wanted to bring. They are new to smoking and said they just wanted smoke, no rubs or seasonings. Though I would take some rub and do a couple slabs[if they will let me] to show them what they will be missing. Also though I would take a fifth and some applejuice for a spray. Any suggestions Steve

A lot of folks don't understand the difference between rubs/seasonings and sauce when it comes to smoking meat. IMHO if you smoke anything without any seasonings it will taste like crap:sad: It doesn't have to be BBQ type seasonings, but at the very least you need salt and pepper.:roll:

I gotta agree that you need some spice on them before you smoke. Even a store bought rub will give you a much better flavor than plain meat.

You should take your rub and spray along and convince them to let you do a couple of slabs and one of the butts your way. After everything is done and they taste yours compared to their's, they will bow at your feet and call you a smoking guru
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I can't imagine no spices! Half my kitchen cabnets are full of spices and I'm always running out of something.

maybe you can pre mix some rubs and pretend you sneezed and dump it on the meats? Then rub in it pretending to rub it off?

icon_rolleyes.gif

ya know, that just might work Debi.. yeah.. that's the ticket
icon_twisted.gif

Or if the sneeze doesn't work, mabey trip over the dog, spill some on the meats ( being sure to apply liberally
PDT_Armataz_01_24.gif
), and apologize profusely then help clean up
icon_twisted.gif
wink.gif
. Daun

I'm beginning to think girls aren't all sugar N spice and everything nice. I'm thinking way deep down in side they have a mean streak trying to get out.
icon_evil.gif
icon_twisted.gif

I can prove this point...

Last night I was forced into eating at the mother-in-laws for her birthday. Her husband cooked four slabs of spare ribs. Cooked them whole, brisket bone on, skirt on, membrane on, no rub, no flavoring wood. He just used charcoal and let them cook for about 6 hours. They were still tough, chewy and full of fat. Not one person there commented on the ribs. I carried a pot of my baked rice and had to give my recipe to 5 different people. They should leave the smoking to me. There were 15 people, 4 slabs of ribs, 2 1/2 slabs left sitting there. I know my ribs may not be the best in the world, but when I cook them, there's nothing left but bones and compliments. Mostly thanks to this wonderful forum.

18* and windy- 30+m.p.h.
Called them yesterday Feb.16 and read the threads to them, and they said sounded good to them.
Had to move 6 miles from house to welding shop to find a wind break. Forgot camera, no pics.. SORRY Loaded around 10:30 a.m. 4 rubbed slabs, 2plain[their wish],1 rubbed butt, 2 rubbed turks,1/2 rubbed loin, 2 picnic hams,1 premarinaded pork tender, and 3 fatties[mine]-1 sausage,and 1 ea. gr. pork and gr.beef rubbed on Thurs.
Used apple and cherry wood with an applejuice/Jack spitz-50/50.Everything was GREAT. Fatties had nice smoke ring and tasted great, nice afternoon snack.
Got everything done abt5:30 and moved back to house to let meatfinish resting and carve. 14 people there. Lots of great comments on flavor, tenderness, smokering, etc.
Thank everyone for their input and help. Friend says he is going to build a smoker real soon. Another got a propane job for Christmas,but hasn't used. I told them abt this website for plans, help, hints, mods, and good friends. THANKS AGAIN Steve

okay Shortone, you did a house full of meat, had a great time, and everything turned out great.. but tell us about the rubbed vs. plain - who had the better meat.. as if I should ask
rolleyes.gif
Great Smoke!

Keep Smokin

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky