Up early to tackle this big butt.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Lol thanks, my little girl already learning to grill. Thanks appreciate it. The butt was pretty good, I think a little bit longer on the smoker would've been better. For my first butt i am pleased. I feel as if the bark was a tad bit tough. It was almost like chewing into a piece of jerky.

Did the bark taste ok? The dry jerky ........ might be a high cooking temp, could be from a dry chamber. Instead of spritzing, you might try just a pan of water or whatever juice to get some more moisture in the CC. Did you by chance make crank up the heat a little trying to bust that stall?

Congrats on your butt, so what did your sous-chef think about that pork?

Well it was at a constant 250 ( on my thermometer ) I think it could've been a dry chamber, I didnt have a water pan and the only moisture was the spritz. Lol she loved it. The bark tasted very good. Had a spicy kick from chili powder and cracked peppercorn.

If the sous chef is happy, there is perfect harmony in the world! You did good.

BTW you get a chance, down on Alameda to a small boot shop, names Mingo Boots, man made my boots for 20+ years. Handmade with excellent craftsman ship and a pretty good price. Go in, let him feel your feet and write down some numbers pick you skin, your toe your heel, your top and the stitching pattern. My two most favorite were a pair of taupe kid skin, the other was some peanut brittle ells. The kids skin were like slipping the feet into moose hide gloves, and those ells turned heads when you walked down the street.

I was one of their first 100 customers..... You ought to drop by and just look and see what's possible. They are amazing! I believe the guys name was George.

Last edited:
I'll have to check that boot shop put, the pair I have now are getting pretty worn. Just a cheap pair of Justins boots. I'll be moving to LA here in a few weeks, and they have tons of boot shops here. Yeah I think for the sake of appearance ill not foil, but if I'm making a butt for my family I dont see a reason not to foil.

when I smoke I use a foil pan to catch drippings from meat to use later....most times I use a baster and just use the meats juice to spritz it....when time to cover "foil" I just cover the foil pan with what meat juice is there Thumbs Up ....

Last edited:
that sounds good. Iv'e heard of people using apple juice or something along the lines of that, but I feel as if it would make things a little too sweet. The only reason I use apple juice to spritz is the sugar in the juice.

that's what great bout what we do, you can try anything....instead of apple juice, try orange juice some time....my fav is juicy juice orange/mango flavor Thumbs Up ....if your doing a brisket you can use beef broth as your spritz....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky