• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Unstuffed Smoked Pepperoni Sticks using using Deerburger

smokingloon

Joined Sep 12, 2010
A friend of mine has given me some Deerburger, thought I'd try some unstuffed Pepperoni sticks.  Is venison going to be to lean?

brdprey

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 8, 2009
venison is very lean but depending on time of year it could be very gamy. how ever very good meat no matter how you cut it.

mballi3011

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 12, 2009

Yes you will have to add some kind of fat. I just made 13lbs of summer sausage and I added 3-4 lbs of pork butt to it just for the fat content.

Last edited:

judaftboy

Joined Oct 11, 2010
I just made some pepperoni sticks using deer burger. I mixed it 3lbs of venison 2lbs pork. They turned out really good.

Juda

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 18, 2007
Yep as they have mentioned venison is very lean. You will want to mix in some other meat with it so it gets some fat. We usually mix ours 50% and 50% lean pork trim. You don't need to mix in that much pork but we really like it that way also it depends on how many lbs of venison trim we get for the year. 

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks