Unique Pork Sammie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

desert smokin

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 1, 2007
Phoenix, Az
Maybe this came to mind because I'm just an old Pennsylvania Dutchman, but pork and sauerkraut is a traditional Pa. Dutch dish. Especially on New Years day. It's supposed to bring good fortune for the new year.
Well I love pork and saurkraut and I combined them in a sammie. A layer of pork, a layer of kraut, some mustard all on a bun.
Personally, I totally enjoy them. Haven't found anything like it on line, so until someone comes up with a name to the contrary, I shall call it the "sauerpork" sammie.

My fathers version of a Rueben comes pretty close to that. Instead of corned beef like most people use we use garlic sausage. Put a jar of kraut into a saucpan, add the garlic sausage's. Heat until sausages expand. Put jewish rye on a cookie sheet or piece of HD foil, add mustard to taste, slice up garlic sausages and lay them on mustard covered bread, add swiss cheese, then kraut, then top piece of bread with mustard. Put in oven on broil, flip when bread gets golden brown and cook until other side is golden brown. Yummy!

sounds good...
I did something like that in the crockpot lately...
a butt in there a bag of kraut over it along with a chopped onion. Some spices and let simmer all day till pork falls apart easy. I tell ya it was good! Some bread and a lil mustard.

I love pork and saurkraut! I do the sammie like you DS, 'cept I add a slice of sharp provolone or swiss... way yummy!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

You guys are making me very hungry.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky