Undercooked brisket finished in sous vide question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chasdev

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
I pulled one too soon and while the flat is good, the point is quite chewy.
I'm going to sous vide it but am uncertain as to how hot and how long.
I figure between 150 and 165 but how many hours?
Meat is sliced up and in 10 vac sealed bags ready to dunk so any helpful suggestions on how to save this expensive chunk of beefcritter would be great, in the sous vide that is.
I considered the oven, bathed in broth and/or red wine but not this time.

Having it mostly cooked and already sliced is something I have not tried, I'm guessing you took the internal into the high 190°'s?

I'm not sure how it will perform being cooked at high temps, then coming back to finish with lower temps. Hopefully someone will chime in with a guess. Maybe you will have to use one bag as a tester.

There is one poster in the thread below talking about the same recipe you found.... that has made it 10 or 15 times, so it must not be as big of a gong as I suspected. They did say it leans toward country ham, which I don't like. Anyways, give this ↓ thread a read.

If it's already sliced , I would use some kind of braising liquid , like you talked about above .
Since it's vac'd and ready to SV maybe try a bag as suggested already and see how it comes out . I've done them in un-sliced sections from frozen . I used a temp of 150 for about 3 hours , but they were tender going in .
Maybe 2 lb. hunk .
20200927_173944.jpg
20200927_174221.jpg

Reactions: eaglewing
Or, since it's almost done and just needs a little warmup/cook, some instructions from BBQ joints with frozen/sliced is, Bring a pot of water to a boil, turn heat off and drop in a bag of sliced, take out as soon as it looks like it became juicy again. Can't go any higher than the 200s so don't think you'll be over cooking anything.

Just a thought.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky