UMAi Spanish Chorizo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Finally able to do some salami cranking after the hand surgery.
Going with UMAi Spanish Chorizo in 50mm bags.
umspchor.jpg

umspchor2.jpg

umspchor3.jpg

umspchor4.jpg

umspchor5.jpg

umspchor6.jpg

umspchor7.jpg

umspchor8.jpg

Going with a 72 hour fermentation in the front salumi closet.
I mix the bactoferm with 1/4 cup cold distilled water and a pinch of dextrose, mix good, sit aside and add last.

Run the meat all the way to the end of your tube so you dont get an air pocket.
BBL

I'm envious. I haven't started doing that yet. Every time one of you posts your fantastic creation, I'm pushed a little closer... to buying all the things I need and figuring out how to do it. It looks awesome so far! Following!

Using that puppy pad on the bottom is genius too.

Last edited:
Looks great . I did 5 lbs. today using Poli's ginger salami formula . I was reading about the salt cure combo , looks like that's what you used ?

N, I'm in ,my next umai is going to be exactly what you just did with the same seasoning.I hope you enjoy the flavor ! :)

Lees than 24 hours the chubs are darker. Been smelling the fermentation all night...YAY
umspchor9.jpg

Not much color change this morning. My wife said yeah they are darker but i dont see it...Yikes

Fridge tomorrow as the fermentation smell is getting less.
umspchor10.jpg

Color is right on, bag separation is normal. Now time for the fridge.
I use frogmats on my fridge rack so i dont get lines in the chubs.

umspchor12.jpg

umspchor13.jpg

umspchor14.jpg

Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
Welcome back man glad to see some of you post again. Hand surgery? injury or ageing? I thought you were on your trip overseas.

Chorizo my favorite sausage.

Warren

Thanks everyone.

Had carpel and trigger finger surgery.
Germany move is happening as soon as the PA house sells. We have a potential buyer who just needs to finalize some things.

I expect it won't take long for you to "hook up" with a few meat market dudes... Maybe you will get a few secrets from them and pass a few along...
Will the move be permanent ?? or is this a 2-3 year sightseeing, food and wine tasting tour...
My friends, that have toured, said I would love the historical buildings and history of Europe, especially Northern Europe..

I expect it won't take long for you to "hook up" with a few meat market dudes... Maybe you will get a few secrets from them and pass a few along...
Will the move be permanent ?? or is this a 2-3 year sightseeing, food and wine tasting tour...
My friends, that have toured, said I would love the historical buildings and history of Europe, especially Northern Europe..

Going to be permanent as soon as the PA house sells. Everything we have is in the 5th wheel so we dont need to rent a full sz sea van. The car we have to pay off or sell. I will be taking my processing equip. Lots of history there. My wifes sister said we should live in a larger city for while to see how we like it. She lives way out and the closest town is like 20 miles away. When we were there in Germany i asked my BIL to see some WWII stuff, they dont like talking about it so i let it go.

We are heading up to NEPA on Sept 18th -30th to do some minor work on the house, power wash and fill in some washout holes in the road.

Reactions: checkdude
Are you shipping the 5th wheel over there ??
No

5th wheel prob sell faster than house. My wife says they have folks calling all the time asking if units are for sale.

Well, I do hope you keep in touch with all of us.. Enjoy your new digs and friends... Moving to the heart of sausage country must be exciting...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky