Uds >?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rjdumas

Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
I have two 55 gallon drums. Without the remove able lids. The ? I have is where should I cut the drum? Will a 22" bbq lid fit on it??

should i leave a little lip? thanks for any help. Can't wait to get started.

That really depends on the drum. With some the lid will fit great but with others it comes up a hair short. Try your drums with the lid to see if it fits.

There are better ways to compensate for a nonfitting lid than to cut the lip of the drum off. IMO that weakens the drum a quite a bit.

Look for some of the build pics and you'll see.

Leave that "bead" on top a the drum, cut the top out inside a that. Now ifin yer lid won't sit on the bead you can make an adapter ring. I needed a ring inside my drum ta make the lid fit right. Wasn't hard ta do, use 1" aluminum strap an rolled it ta fit inside the drum an riveted in place.

points.gif

Sweet thanks for those pics, that helped tons. thanks for the quick reply

hopefully I do it right I'll try to take pics to show my progress.

Most of the drums around here have a rolled lip at the top and bottom. Some will have a flat lip on the bottom and it is those that a Weber lid will fit onto. So check the top and bottom for fit. If your drums have the rolled lip a three pound sledge can help bring it into compliance. Lay the drum down on something solid and pound away at the lip, that is after cutting out the cover.

I don't get on here much have been busy doing smoker training.  I found that if you can find a good weber 22.5 kettle grill as a donor for your UDS you can use the botton 2 inch of the kettle as your lip on the drum.  You need cut the bottom of the grill with a cutting wheel then flare out the bottom of it just a tad to make a good seal.  If you can weld put a few tacks on it to hold it in place, if you are not the welding type or find that a 12 pack and welding don't go hand in hand, I don't see why you couldn't drill a few holes and run some bolts in them.  I have been experimenting and the lucky person who I donated them to seem to love the idea.  I hope I helped anybody find another reason to fire up a UDS and love it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky