UDS question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grogger27

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Three Hills, Alberta
I've got a question concerning how a UDS handles in less than spectacular weather. I used a ECB for the first time this weekend and spent more time building shelter than tending to the meat. It that cold out, and the wind wasn't that harsh. It was a fight to keep 220'F.
I found out today that the honey farm north of town sells food quality drums at a reasonable price. I was wondering how the UDS's handle to windy or harsher weather. I'm presuming better but I'd prefer some feedback.
Thanks,
Grogger

The UDS doesn't care about how bad the weather gets, it runs like a champ in all kinds of bad weather. It's just about as close to set and forget as can be for a charcoal rig.

I agree with RickW I have used my UDS in -30 degrees and windy and have had no issues. Once I get the UDS up to temp I turn my ball valve away from the wind and I don't have any issues. My drum runs with usually 1/2 to 3/4 of the ball valve open to be in the 225-250 range. It can be windy out and I don't care the drum is a champ.

We had SERIOUS winds here in AZ on Sunday when I cooked some babybacks. I was very close to not cooking because of the wind.

However, the UDS ran no different than it ever does. I was amazed. Held steady temp for 5+ hours

What size of ball valves do you use?
I work at a small gas plant and the boss said if I'm need a few fittings to build a smoker, and some of the products from the smoker make it to work, he said he doesn't mind if some fittings go missing.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I will start production soon and post some pics.

I have a (1) 1" Ball valve and (3) 1" caps for a total of 4 air intakes. So far I only have had to open the 3 caps when I am starting the UDS. Once it is at the temp I want I normally only have to control the heat with the ball valve but I have had once or twice where I have needed to open one of the caps for a few minutes to bring up the temps.

They run hard and long on little fuel, you wont be dissapointed to say the least. Pan or no pan, works great either way.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I built mine this spring so have not had the opportunity to run it in the cold, but in wind no problem.

I have 30lbs of pork butt on right now (10:15p) and plan to go to bed shortly with absolutely NO intentions of getting up to check it til morning! I haven't found any other smoker I have had that much confidence in!

Mine has 3 1" openings, 2 are caps that screw onto a threaded nipple; the third is a 3/4" ball valve. I start it with all three open, then screw on the two caps and run it with the ball valve just short of full open - it locks in at 225... as Ron Popiel would say, "set it and forget it!"

as soon as I find another drum, I will have two UDS's!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky