UDS outside paint burning?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinLogs

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 5, 2017
Owensboro, Kentucky
I’m having to push back my uds build for a week or 2, but I’m going to take advantage out the setback and round up some more parts and do a little more research. Everyone i see on here seems to try to burn all the exterior paint off as well as the inside of these barrels on the initial burn. Maybe this is a dumb question but is it important to burn all the exterior paint? Or, is this just to get a clean starting point for your own paint jobs?

I’m by far no expert at this but have been through many burn barrels. I don’t even have a uds so this is just my .02. The original paint is not high temp paint so any left on might start to flake off after multiple uses under your high temp paint. I’m sure others with more experience will be along too give their thoughts. Good luck with build.

Reactions: SmokinLogs
I did it because most of the paint on the barrel I found was already peeling, so I wanted to start with a good base. A friend that I built a UDS for, wanted to keep the original yellow and white paint on the drum he found, which was in perfect shape. It has lasted a little over 1 year, but I noticed the other day that it is starting to flake off now too.

Reactions: SmokinLogs
Thanks for the input. I think I’m going to get my uds built and working how I like it, still with a good seasoning burn before cooking with it, then go back a have a big burn out later and repaint.

I burned all mine off with a driveway torch and then wirebrushed the remains off.

I did it because I wanted to repaint it in the color of my choosing with high temp paint and wanted a clean surface to work with.

It was a bear to get off though. I'll say that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky