UDS lid question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cigarbque

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
N.W. New Jersey
Socred three great closed lid drums today plus three good open flat lids. Is there a way to remove the closed lid and then use the flat style on them? I don't have any Weber style lids and was hoping to ust the flat ones. Thanks.

You can use a drum deheader.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3AY68

They are a little pricey but if you could find someone in your area who has one maybe they would cut the head off the drum for you. Don't really know what kind of business would have one -- maybe welding or fab shop.

Depending on what was in the drum - and this is very important - you could have someone cut it off for you with a cuttoff wheel of some sort. If it held something flammable the drum deheader is probably the way to go. You don't want to use anything that will cause a spark if the drum held anything flammable. I seem to recall a news article recently where some dumb a$$ was cutting the top off an old kerosone drum IN HIS APARTMENT no less to make a barbecue and it blew up and started the apartment on fire.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I will probably cut the lid off with a jig saw and a metal blade. I was looking to see if the open head lids will fit on this kind of drum or will I need to get a Weber style lid for it.

Just and FYI because I have seen it happen.....even an antifreeze drum can explode when cut open with a torch or cutting wheel.

Not sure why it happens since antifreeze isn't flammable but it has happened.

a drum deheader is your best option.

Please be safe

grind off the top weld of the drum.... make a spacer to fit back into the lip if you have to and go from there...or cut it off with a jig saw and clean it up with a grinder

I cut them off with a sawzall. It worked great and came out very clean. Used a new blade for each drum. The flat lids fit perfectly.

Excellent!!

Now get to building.
biggrin.gif

And take pictures. We like to see pictures.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky