UDS for smoking and grilling?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

duffygould

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I just saw a post on a UDS built with a core system to pull the fire up to the grate for grilling, has anyone else done something with there uds to grill with it too?

I'm looking at making one and I want to make it so that i can grill too. any ideas appreciated.

I have never grilled on mine, but I would think that you could.
My cooking grate sits about 2' above the heat source. I bet if you put two racks...one closer to the heat, you could grill just fine.

I'm sure someone with UDS grilling experience will be along to help ya soon.
smile.gif

I grill on mine all the time. In fact, I grill more now that I have the drum than before. I just make sure the basket is full (so the heat is up high) and all intakes are open. Grilling is about temperature. If you can get up and over 350, you're grilling.

Also, when you're done, shut all the air off and your lump will be waiting for you the next time you're ready to cook.

My basket is held in place on a threaded rod ( next time I would use 3 rods ) by nuts and washers. You can move it up by moving up nuts and washers.But I have found this is kinda slow goin and if I was gonna grill alot I would devise some kinda clamp/quick - connect

One thing you can do is to put 3 screws in the sides that will allow you to "raise the coal basket" up to the grate. You dont need to permanately put them there. When done grilling, replace the longer screws with 1/2 inchers. That way you can get the coal basket down to the bottom without problems. Or you can just keep the longer screws in and 'work" the basket back down when you want to smoke with your drum.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky