UDS for Cold Smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hog warden

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
Can anyone tell me what to expect with a UDS for cold smoke to just flavor stuff like link sausage? My question is if you just load the basket with some wood chips, can you limit the air intake so it just smolders for cold smoke?

By cold smoke, I'm assuming winter weather outside (less than 50 degree outside temps) and keeping the internal temp inside the drum to not much more than 70 degrees. Smoke it.....not cook it.

My GBS works, but capacity as I've been using it is about 6 pounds or so.

Warden, This may not help but I did a few things to a drum that I was planning to make into a UDS.
I'd say the hole that is cut for my dryer vent could be covered for normal UDS smoking.

Here it's cold smoking about 20 lbs of belly bacon and holding around 70 degrees.

Mighty nice setup, looks like a smoke transfusion of sorts. Great idea, I was going to give you points but I've reached my quota for the day. Next time around.

Big Red:

Thats a cool tool. Looks like something I might have rigged up, although I would have thought I'd have to elevate the drum to get the smoke to make the trip.

I keep thinking the UDS should work as a cold smoker, either by choking off the air, or by building a smaller basket. Or a small piece of steel or cast iron pipe to restrict air flow. Fill with chips and let it smolder like a cigar, burning from the top down.

I basically have a horizontal UDS.

My secret is sawdust. I use a compressed sawdust pellet. I sell them where I work. I get a couple of lump of charcola going and keep feeding the sawdust nuggets on top. the lump burns out and the sawdust just keeps smoldering.

I have had smokes as low as 60 degrees.
I also use a pie tin with screwdrivers holes in it on top of bricks to limit air flow from the bottom..

This gives you an idea of volume. this is about 6 inches shorter than a true UDS.

this is the sawdust pellet I use.

good luck.
Michael.

Cool, smoked butter. You gotta smoke that at super LOW temps.

Just teasing. Looks good.
Hog Warden, I think if you cut back on the air to much, you will get soot from incomplete combustion. You may need the two mods shown and discussed in the above reply's. Good luck and keep us UDS'ers posted.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky