UDS Ball valve extension question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

target

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Edgeley, ND
Hey guys,

I am going to get my barrells this weekend and gonna get started on my UDS. Been researching alot and want some opinions.

I like the idea of having my ball valve extended so I dont have to bend over to adjust. I have seen 2 versions of this.

1.) extended pipe all the way up. Does this inhibit airflow? I have a hard time believing that this doesnt affect that.

2.) extending the handle with a rod??? I like this design but have no idea how to do that? anyone have instructions or anyone done this an have trouble with it? breakoffs or anything else.

Thanks everyone.

Isn't that the point of putting the valve in there? Its to inhibit the airflow when you want to turn the temp down. The valve will be the choke-point no matter what so it doesn't matter. If you find yourself opening all of your vents and opening your valve all the way so that the small amount that the pipe inhibits airflow actually matters then you didn't make your vents big enough.

I had mine straight in at first, and thought it was the best way as well....

However, once I added the upright extension, it is not only more convenient, but I can see the amount the valve is open and over time i am more accurate in adjusting this valve because I can see the true half way point of the valve being open.

I didn't notice any air flow restriction differences. As long as I keep my exhaust open and the occasional use of the wiggle rod, the air gets suckked right down the pipe into the fire basket

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky