UDS ash pan help needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 18, 2007
West Fargo, ND / Northern MN
Ok I picked up all my parts to make my first UDS but the only thing I can't seem to find locally is something that I can use for my ash pan. I found the perfect pan at fleet farm it was a feed bowl for animals but it was galvanized. I know you aren't suppose to use galvalized products in smokers because when it gets hot it gives off toxic fumes but I know it needs to get pretty hot before that happens. My question is how hot will my ash pan get??? Would it get hot enough that I would have to worry? I pretty much know the answer will be "do not use it" to be on the safe side but I still wanted to ask and see what you guys thought. I just can't seem to find anything good for a ash pan.

That's what I use fer a ash pan in mine, chucked it inta a good hot wood fire an let it burn off the galvanized. Then hit it with the wire wheel in the angle grinder. Wasn't no galvanized left after that.

Some folks I've seen have used a pizza pan to, I like the deeper pan myself, drilled some extra air holes round the outside a it just ta be sure the basket gets all the air I give it.

I thought about burning it out to. Maybe I will just buy the pan and put it in the UDS when I burn it out the first time. That should get rid of all the galvanized material. Ya think???

Ya can usually tell when the galvanized is gone, galvanized will have sorta a leaf type pattern to it an that'll be gone. It also burns with some colors to it which will tend ta disappear when it's gone. When in doubt, burn er again!

Just be sure not ta breath any a the fumes comin off that fire, it'll make ya real sick er dead.

Galvanized metal needs to get up to 900* before it emits fumes that can cause sickness. If you inhale the fumes and get sick, you can either drink whole milk (not skim, 1% or 2%) or ride it out and it will pass in roughly 24-48 hours. It will not kill you but I understand the fear behind the hysterics. I think most (including myself) will tell you that it is better to not take the chance to begin with. What you do is up to you, but I wanted to make sure you had more facts than hysterics.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Well thanks for the info guys I think I will get the dish and try burning it out. How hot do you think an ash pan gets? I know the basket must get hot as hell but the ash pan???? I'm sure it gets hot but you wouldn't think it would get hot enough to burn the galvanized off the pan????

I used the pan out of an old burned out Brinkman electric smoker in mine. Fits just right.
Stan

I don't beleive mine gets all that hot, I got 2 1/2" legs on my basket, so all it really catch's is the ash. I've seen some juices collect down in it with out vaporizin on contact so it ain't all that hot.

i agree i use a piece of tinfoil. can use the same piece several times and its easy to clean up. eventually i'll find a ash pan but not a big deal to spend alot of money on

We use the bottom of the barrel (make our UDS by turning the barrel over and cutting bottom out)that we cut out. Cut it an inch or so bigger than our charcoal basket. Then roll a inch or so metal ring and weld it on the piece we cut out. Pretty simple.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky