• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

UDS 2.0 on her maiden voyage

bbq enthusiast

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 1, 2008
Well I bought a new drum the other day,($72 dollars and some change. ouch
) and made a few changes on her. here's a few pics. the air regulation on this new one is way better than my last one.the last one I did had a 1 1/4" air intake running up the side of the drum. this one I installed a 1/2" ball valve. and used a 2" pipe for the exhust.
smoked a 5lb round eye roast, it came out dry but thats a diffrent thread, for some other time.

1ccd8cb6_vbattach18481.jpg

8b46cee6_vbattach18480.jpg

c094ed7c_vbattach18479.jpg

19c9d2cb_vbattach18478.jpg

geek with fire

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 5, 2007
OK, I dig the smoke stack, but $72 for the drum? Ouch, indeed! I guess in the long term, the cost will wash, but I'm getting used drums around here for $12.

Nice lookin' UDS!

forcedsquint

Fire Starter
Joined May 1, 2008
Looks really nice. How many intakes do you have at the bottom and did you only use a ball valve on one of them? Looks like you have caps on some of them which I would think are either totally open or totally closed.

I'm going to be building mine soon and see so many different configurations. I see quite a few with two intakes and they use a ball valve on both.

bbq bubba

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 12, 2007
Use at least 3 intakes and 1 ball valve is plenty for air adjustment!

bbq enthusiast

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 1, 2008
Geek with Fire;201094 said:
OK, I dig the smoke stack, but $72 for the drum? Ouch, indeed!

I tried the whole fire in the drum thing on the UDS1.0 but just about caught the house on fire. scared the begees out of me sooo, I'll pay the high price for the drum with no liner. Besides its only 3/4 of a tank of diesel for $72.00 ($5.15 a gallon)

bbq enthusiast

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 1, 2008
I installed four 1/2 inch nipples near the bottom and one of them has a 1/2 inch ball valve on it. when she was going full throttle I had 3 of the caps on and the ball valve fully open

bbq enthusiast

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 1, 2008
I've learned most of what I know about UDS's, from BBQ BUBBA's postings here on this site.

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Mar 22, 2008
Nice looking UDS like the chrome stack

erain

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 2, 2008
nice lookin uds, mount an air horn on top with stack and call her the big rig. looks good!!!

seboke

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 11, 2007
And some orange runnin lights around the top! The smokestack makes that an instant classic!!!

domn8_ion

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 5, 2007
Man that's pretty. But why did you have to steal my coffee table to put next to it?

bbq enthusiast

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 1, 2008
I was trying to go for the red neck look
I do like how people integrate a table or a shelf on the side but I got in a hurry to try this one out and didn't take the time to engineer a trick looking table/shelf. there's always the next one!!

pigcicles

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 25, 2006
Nice UDS BBQ Enthusiast. Shoot you can always add a shelf. Think about maybe some diamond plate to go with the awesome stack.

bbq enthusiast

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 1, 2008
OH YA
thats a freakin great idea. I would have never thought of that.
I will get right on that Thank you!!!!

ncdodave

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 1, 2008
hey Gordon!
since youre in antelope come up to carson city on fathers day weekend and join us for a little smoke off! ill bee smoking as well as a couple of other people and crankin up out Dutch ovens while we're at it!
great stack! put a box for a table on the front with a couple of head lights and a steering wheel and set the whole thing on a go cart frame! then you can buy one of steves mini lane smokers and have everyone wondering how you made that!
LOL

ddave

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 3, 2008
That chrome stack is a nice touch.
Looks cool!

Dave

erain

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 2, 2008
yano when they do that to the big rigs they callem chicken trucks, u cud call it the chicken smoker!!!

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks