UDG questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stubborn

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
Indiana
Dang, I don't check in for a week or so, and I hardly recognize the place...

I thought I had asked this before, but search doesn't bring it up.  For those of you using your UDSs for grilling, are you doing it with no lid, a weber-style lid, or the flat barrel lid?  Grilling on the UDS is the next step for me, just want to verify the lid issue with those who have already done this.

Thanks.

I had a buddy cut a 3" long pipe in half and weld them onto my charcoal basket which then hangs off the bolts for the lower grate. I also use a Weber lid.
611adca3_img1472q.jpg

e95d1693_img1474b.jpg

Last edited:
I  like little's idea, I have been considering grilling on my UDS, just havn't got around to figgurn' how to get that basket up higher, very cool! I would run the vents wide open and yes use a lid, the wasps would love it if you didn't.

I put another set of bolts about half way up the drum.  I had a rack made of expanded metal and that's what I set the charcoal basket on when I am grilling.  I use a Weber lid but I don't see any reason why you couldn't use a flat lid as well.

Dave

Thanks for the replies.  

Is it really necessary to use the basket?  Wouldn't just a charcoal grate do the job?  

I'll be setting my drum up for two grates since I got the cheap grill lid.  I figured I could use the lower level for charcoal and cook on the top rack.

Is it really necessary to use the basket?  Wouldn't just a charcoal grate do the job?  

I'll be setting my drum up for two grates since I got the cheap grill lid.  I figured I could use the lower level for charcoal and cook on the top rack.
I don't see why not.  You wouldn't need a deep pile of charcoal so I guess you really wouldn't need the basket. 
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Dave

Thanks, DDave.  Seemed logical to me, based on the way a Weber operates.  Plus, the side walls of my basket are about 14 inches high...  Maybe that's why a basketful seems to last forever...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky