Two Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin jack

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Philadelphia Suburbs
1. Smoking ribs, do I start them bone side down on the grill or meat side down?

2. Rib racks for spares, if any of you all use them are they any good? I mean for cooking, not so much for space.

Lastly, and I guess my thrid question ha ha ......I use a char broil silver smoker and if anyone else uses this please help me with this or if any of you know this as well please chime in.....my thermometer is set up where the factory installed the hole to add the therm. this is located about six inches above the grate. What is, and is there, a major temp. difference from grate to the therm.? I know that there is a major temp. difference from where the smoke enters the chamber from the firebox, but I am talking closer to the chimney?

Thanks for any and all advice.

I put my ribs meat side up so the fat drips off the ends of the meat and doesn't pool in the curve of the bonz. Don't think it makes a difference but thats how I do it.

The racks are great I like them because I find it easier to move the ribs around and easier to spritz both sides.

The stock thermometers are often a joke and you should test them for accuracy before committing an expensive cut of meat to one. I measure the temp with a couple of el cheapo oven thermometers sitting directly on the rack next to the meat.

Probes are good to measure the ambient temperature in the smoker too. stick the probe thru a potato and rest the tater next to the meat.
Check the first post in this link bottom picture, for a good example of how to place your thermometer probe. He has stuck the probes thru a cork instead of a potatoe but you get the idea.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=81764

Oh yeah I almost forgot, 3rd question .... yes it is a bit hotter near the top especially where the airflow is faster exiting the vent.
You know kind of like a blow dryer effect.

Keep the smoke thin blue and all will be well.

Cook em bone side down. Racks work great, I use mine all the time. If I don't need the space I don't use them just to save me from cleaning them.

Rib rack nope don't have one cause I usually only smoke a couple of slabs so I don't need one. Now ribs I do mine with the bone side down so the fat drips off the ribs and doesn't poddle up.

Also - regarding ribs. I know I'm not the only one who thinks this, but it seems that ribs are the one cut of meat where you don't really want to see any grill marks!

I cook mine bone side down so that the nice look of the bark isn't disturbed...and so the rub doesn't get scraped off. Also, like others said - the natural curvature of ribs makes it best to smoke them bone side down so that fat drips off as is renders.

Meat side down for sure.

I smoke them meat side up, I just felt like saying that.
tongue.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky