Two Questions for Cheese Smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Stainless steel guitar string. poke it through as many as you can and tie them off on those handles.

I made my cheese slicer out of a SS "B" string
IMG_20170713_223836.jpg

Reactions: chef jimmyj
The outside temp is 38°, the smoker temp is 56°. I'm using an A-Maze-N sawdust generator, started from both corners.

I've tried them flat, and the reason I pin 5 sticks together was to make turning easier, the same with pinning asparagus when grilling except I use two pins so they don't roll on me. But the smoke time is only 90 minutes, meaning at least 5 turns. By doing this pitched roof arrangement I don't have to turn them .
Are you only going 90 because of having it lit from both ends?

Have you tried a tin can with both ends removed?

No, but I thought of a narrow but deep aluminum drip pan with the bottom removed, I have some Weber ones I use for dunking my competition chicken thighs and drumsticks in when saucing.

Stainless steel guitar string. poke it through as many as you can and tie them off on those handles.

I made my cheese slicer out of a SS "B" string
View attachment 428783

I have access to heavier gauge SS wire we use for tying hogs, lamb and goat on a spit. I also have some .035 and .045 solid SS welding wire. I'd like to utilize those turkey pins if possible, I got them for $0.10 per card (set of 10). Me and a buddy bought $10 worth.

Are you only going 90 because of having it lit from both ends?

Yes. Just the fact there is so much surface area on a stick of string cheese, they don't take too much smoke time. For me, I sample a 1/2" long piece during the smoking, then let them mellow a few days.

jN7XyBN.jpg

Who else is smoking this Dubliner cheese? My Sam's Club carries it in the 2# bricks and it's very good. I'm smoking my third batch today. I could go on, but they have a full blown WRITE UP on their site. It explains the taste and texture perfectly, plus I learned a new word, "piquant". :emoji_laughing:

Next question, Any ideas for a hanging rack when smoking cheese sticks? I have a huge number of turkey lacing needles but there has to a better idea than just balancing them in the smoker.

NLanhvF.jpg
I have some Kerrygold ready to go with some gouda. I am going to try some potato chips and Cheetos also. I am using the A-MAZE-N-TUBE-SMOKER with cherry wood. This talk of Irish cheese and butter has me thinking about Irish Whiskey. I like whiskey neat. Has anyone ever smoked some Jameson? Is that possible? Time to go cut the cheese.

I have some Kerrygold ready to go with some gouda. I am going to try some potato chips and Cheetos also. I am using the A-MAZE-N-TUBE-SMOKER with cherry wood. This talk of Irish cheese and butter has me thinking about Irish Whiskey. I like whiskey neat. Has anyone ever smoked some Jameson? Is that possible? Time to go cut the cheese.

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 1s.jpg
    1s.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 18

Never smoked whiskey..... but I've made smoked ice specifically for two drinks. You put a pan of water in your smoker and cold smoke it. Then use it to make ice cubes.

Drink 1 is just a Whiskey Rock. 2 or 3 fingers of whiskey with one cube of ice.

Drink 2 is a Bull Shot. Think Bloody Mary but instead of tomato juice, you use beef broth. A couple of the smoked ice cubes gives a nice back flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky