Two fatties w/ Q-view

Discussion in 'Pork' started by smoke_chef, Apr 22, 2008.

1. smoke_chef

smoke_chef Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Hello all,

I smoked a couple of fatties today for the first time and they turned out great! I don't mean to brag, but my nephew said "what are you taking pictures for?" I told him about SMF and he said to say "they turned out great" Sooo... I did. Each were two pounds of JD original. One had pizza sauce, onions, bell peppers, oregano, S&P, and mozzarella. The other one, and tonight’s winner of "which was your favorite fatty" contest by a 6 - 2 vote had alfredo sauce, pepperoni, Canadian bacon, oregano, S&P, and an Italian five cheese blend. The two people that didn't vote for it said it was because they liked them both the same. The other six said the Alfredo sauce was what did it for them. They want that in all future pizza style fatties. I smoked for exactly 2 hours and averaged 225 on my temp gauge. The outside temp here was in the high 80's and wind was not a factor. Both fatties and a side dish of spicy potatoes au gratin feed 8 people with no leftovers. Overall, my best smoke yet. I highly recommend giving it a try if you haven't done it yet. After dinner, we sat around thinking of other things to stuff a fatty with. We came up with:
    Fatty Cordon Blue, Fatty pot pie, Broccoli and Cheese fatty, and a Spanish fatty. My nine year old nephew came up with Breakfast fatty. He was so proud of himself and his "original" thought. I couldn't bring myself to tell him that's the classic. Here's the Q-view. Enjoy.

2. seboke

seboke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Fine looking fatties Chef! Wife has been out of town, she missed my first fatty. Going to GA to see her this weekend, told her I'd bring her a fatty of her choice, she chose breakfast. Q-view will be up this weekend with 4 butts to boot.

3. smoke_chef

Thanks Seboke. I'll be looking forward to your q-view. WOW. You're planning on smoking a whole lotta butt. What do you do with that much? Any way, best of luck. I hope you get great weather for it. Safe travels when you go to GA.

4. desertlites

desertlites Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Great looking fatties chef-great job!sounds like all had a fun time with the fatties.points

5. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Those look great [​IMG] have you figured out anything that wouldn't be good in a fatty [​IMG]

6. stacks

stacks Smoke Blower

Great looking Fatties Chef[​IMG]
    Need to try one Italian style. Yet another thing to add to my to-do list.

Man do I love that list!!!!!![​IMG]

7. jbg4208

jbg4208 StickBurners

Good work smoke Chef. [​IMG] Those look great.

8. smoke_chef

Thanks for the kind words you guys.

The next time I see the quesiton "What is a good first smoke?" I'll suggest a fatty. The end result is awesome. It's easy. Plus, the cook time is short so it gives people a chance to play with their fire for couple of hours without it seeming overwhelming if things aren't going well.

9. travcoman45

travcoman45 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Mighty tastey lookin vittles indeed!

10. sumosmoke

sumosmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great job, chef! Props to your fattie not oozing it's guts, looks like you let it rest before slicing. [​IMG]

Thanks for the q-vue!

11. smoke_chef

Hey Sumosmoke,

Actually, I did foil my fatties and let them rest for about 15 minutes. But... it was purely by accident. I told my guests that dinner was at 6:15. I was so proud of myself to have both the potatoes and fatties done together on time. But... my brother was late. So I covered them and we all waited on him. He arrived about 6:30. Otherwise, I would have sliced them up right out of the smoker. It never occurred to me until your post that helped improve the quality. Thanks! I'll plan the rest time for future fatties.

So I guess.... Basically everything that comes off the smoker needs to rest for some amount of time?

Thanks,

Franklin

12. invader q

invader q Smoke Blower

Those look great! [​IMG]

13. chargrilled

chargrilled Meat Mopper

Bout the only thing I dont let rest is my ribs as I have foiled them then firmed them back up. I usually cut them up after pulling them.

Great looking Q there my friend!!!

14. crewcab4x4

crewcab4x4 Smoking Fanatic

Good looking fatties chef. The alfredo sounds great I'm going to try that for sure.

Jason

15. sumosmoke

sumosmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Based on everything I've read on the site, one of the rules of smoking is to let the meat rest before slicing or pulling. Makes sense as one of the benefits of smoking meat is to create juicy masterpiece's that make on-lookers drool. [​IMG]

If you were to cut into the fatty when it came right off the smoker, it still would've tasted the same, just the presentation would've been affected. If nobody objects to eating something that looks like oooze on a plate, then happy grubs! [​IMG]

16. kookie

kookie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Great looking fatties............Good job...............

17. hockeyhead

hockeyhead Fire Starter

Lookin Gooooood!!!!!!

18. vlap

vlap Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great... Now ya got me hungry!!! [​IMG]

19. waysideranch

waysideranch Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Smoke Chef,

Very nice. Glad to hear your nephew is getting interested. Get him smoking. What is the secret to the meat you wrapped it in?? Q-view is great.