Two chickens and pulled pork :) Q-view of course!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gersus

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Mid-Missouri
Had some company over yesterday so I had a great excuse to get some TBS rollin'!

I did two pork butts and two hens. 

I can't say enough how much the Amazen pellet smoker has changed by smokes! It has made THE difference between good and GREAT! From the color to the flavor, it has been tremendous. I used hickory and oak during this smoke. Used two rows of pellets.

I decided to brine my chicks since I had time. I used:

1/2 cup kosher salt

1/2 cup brown sugar

2-4 tsp rub

brine for 8-24 hours

I got this brine recipe from another post, I believe it was Chef JimmyJ that posted it. (Thanks!)

After brining, I rubbed some rub under the skin and place 4 pieces of butter under the skin as well. Then I toothpicked the skin back in  place to keep the breast protected. 

6ef0b432_chickenrubbed.jpg

For the PP, I just trimmed off the thick piece of fat from the bottoms (saved it for later use in sausage), rubbed them down with rub and then mustard. Oh, I also sprinkled a little brown sugar on top. 

Placed in smoker at 250 until 195. Put the chicks in much later and pulled them at 165.

ecdaac06_PPandchickeninsmoker.jpg

the store I typically buy butts from has been slacking lately. They usually have 5-6 nice ones available but recently not so good. They only had these two small ones this time. Sure tasted good though!

6f23758d_pulledporkdone.jpg

03831eb8_chickengoldenbrown.jpg

I always mix up some finishing sauce when I do pulled pork. So awesome!!!!! This sauce is mentioned a lot here at SMF. If you haven't tried it, you have to!!!

06f5d5b2_finshingsauce.jpg

This was probably my best smoke yet, even though I didn't do anything different from usual. It just keeps getting better! Our friends loved it to say the least! 

Thanks for looking!

Thanks for the Qview Gersus,  glad you enjoyed your dinner and your friends.  Nice looking dinner you got going there.

Terrific looking Smoked Meat...Great color...
thumb1.gif
...JJ

icon_cool.gif

Now that is some fine looking yardbird. Now the bark on the butts look good too. So keep up the good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky