Two 6lb. Pork butts for Mother's Day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jacobtia

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Central Illinois
I picked these two butts up this afternoon on my way home from work. I work at a tuxedo rental shop so we are super busy with prom tuxes this time of year. Needless to say I put in 55 hours so far(in for another 5 tomorrow) and I didn't have time to do my usual pre rub and set in the fridge over night. Instead I did the same trick I tried last time and mixed some cider vinegar with my dry rub and injected them.

Hope you enjoy the view and more will follow!

Happy Mother's Day to all the Mother's out there!

9e54c48c_qview040.jpg

73f88d36_qview041.jpg

e1d31ef1_qview039.jpg

e3dc2482_qview042.jpg

3ad0f6ea_qview043.jpg

9610b5c2_qview045.jpg

bbb5bf40_qview046.jpg

Pickle roll-up's MMMMMMMMMMMMMM

c9104145_qview047.jpg

My lil' guy and his B-Day present.....E300 electric scooter that I took for a little test drive last night!

f6253e0c_qview044.jpg

My beautiful wife and Mother to our three awesome kids! Happy Mother's Day baby!

9278a011_qview049.jpg

OK here is how this went down......The butts went on at 6 o clock pm saturday night. I had planned on just staying up till they were done and sleeping in this morning. That didn't happen. My neighbor had his 50th B-Day party last night so my wife and I went over there for awhile while the butts were smoking. Several beers and a few jello shots later and it was midnight and I was kinda sleepy. I told my wife we should take a lil nap and I would get up at 3 am to check the smoker. I set 2 alarms for 3 am and 3:15 and slept through them both. Woke up at 6 and was freakin' out about my butts. The positive thing was I had moved all my hot coals towards the air intake and added a bunch of lump to kick in the minion method for a long burn. When I went out to check the butts they were almost to 199 and I had a half load of charcoal still burning(thank GOD). So at that point I just wanted to go back to sleep so I pulled the butts, panned them, covered with foil and threw them in the over to finish them off. After my extended nap.....AKA full nights sleep the butts were done and I had to go to work on Mother's Day/my son's 9th B-Day. While I was at work all our friends and family enjoyed my pulled pork. My wife said everyone loved it! The money shot of my plate is of what was left over when I got home at 4:30 this afternoon. All in all I had fun smoking them and enjoyed the reheated left overs! Hope everyone enjoyed their Sunday!

Last edited:
At 4 hrs.....and the last 2 ABT's that haven't been ate yet. My neighbor turned 50 today so the other's were enjoyed at his party tonight! He has been complaining that I haven't invited him for dinner! He may be joining us for the Mother's Day/Birthday party here tomorrow. My son turns 9! He is such an awesome kid!

2eaf1dd9_qview042.jpg

My son and middle daughter.

e0672288_meandbubby.jpg

Last edited:
Good job on the successfull smoke. Great looking family as well. Congrats  

Yep,Jake. The drinking thing tends to make you forget what you are doing
icon_eek.gif
 For yours it would have taken about 9hrs. to melt all the Fat and collegen.

Everything looked good though. Butts are easy to cook as they are very forgiving
drool.gif
I do mine at 200*to225*f ,for 1.5hrs/lb.,before even opening the lid and releasing the heat and moisture. I use only bone-in Butts,a good therm. for Butts. This is how mine look:

f93b6b00_Betty004.jpg

Patience is the secret,do not peek,when you do you lose everything,so keep your trap shut and feed through the bottom or the firebox. Get a couple of good probes and watch that you keep it at 200*to225*f and DO NOT OPEN THE LID
biggrin.gif

Hope this helps and...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky