Twin Chuckies with Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Twin Chuckies (1-14-2011)

I'm not going to make this a "Step by Step" because it was 15˚ out & very windy.
The cold doesn't hurt my well insulated MES 40, but the strong wind distorts the amount of cycling the heating element does, and the time it takes to get 'er done.

I will however give as much info as I recorded.

I started with two Chuckies (on sale---$1.99 per pound), each a few ounces over 3 pounds,
I rinsed them off and dried them well with paper towels.
Then I coated them both real good with Worcestershire (Thick) sauce.

On one, I put a good amount of McCormick's BBQ rub, and on the other, I applied a good dose of a rub I got from Paul (Beer-B-Q).
Then I wrapped them in plastic wrap, and into the fridge they went for an overnight rest.

It was 15˚ out the next morning, when I Pre-heated my MES 40 to 240˚.
I turned it on at 7 AM, and it shut off at 240˚ at 7:20 AM. Not bad from 15˚ to 240˚ in 20 minutes!!!

At 7:35 I put the Chuckies in (Top Shelf).
I loaded both end rows of my prototype 5 X 11 A-MAZE-N-SMOKER, and put it on the bottom bars, on the left at 8:15.
I also cut the smoker back to 230˚.
At 9 AM, I put boiling water into my water pan, instead of ruining my Chuckie Bark with any spraying.
This also means I don't have to open the door to wet them down. I don't like to open the door when it's 15˚ and windy!
After nearly 3 hours (11:10 AM) of good smoke, my AMNS (two end rows) burned out, but I had the two end rows of my 6 X 6 AMNS ready to go, and I did the switch.
At this point, I also sterilized & inserted my meat probes, and found that after 3 1/2 hours, both Chuckies were at the same 145˚.

At 3 PM, the one Chuckie was at 164˚, and the other at 166˚, so into the double foil they went.

At 4:20, the one was at 208˚, and the other at 203˚, so I turned the heat down to 100˚, opened the door until it got down to 180˚, and closed the door.

At 4:50, I killed the power, brought my Chuckies in and pulled them for Supper & a mess of left-overs.  

Mrs Bear & I had invited our Son & his Wife to join us, and I took a poll on the two rubs:
Three of us liked Paul's rub the best, all agreeing that McCormick's was too sweet.
Mrs Bear liked McCormick's the best, but considering the fact that she likes Pork from the Crock-pot more than Smoked, we don't really count her vote as a serious vote.

Hope You All enjoy the Qview below:

The two on the right were elected for this smoke:

bf8568b4_DSC01626.jpg

After resting overnight with the rubs (Paul's rub on right):

2b6b986a_DSC01798.jpg

Top Shelf for these babies:

2d9466ff_DSC01800.jpg

Pulling Time:

9e0e6117_DSC01804.jpg

All pulled & ready to devour:

29a82ed6_DSC01808.jpg

Close-up:

149dc81e_DSC01809.jpg

First Sammie:

e1635501_DSC01812.jpg

The part we don't eat:

d49a58bd_DSC01817.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Bear

That's funny.  Nice looking chuckies.  I need to make some more of these. 
beercheer.gif

Mrs Bear liked McCormick's the best, but considering the fact that she likes Pork from the Crock-pot more than Smoked, we don't really count her vote as a serious vote.

OH boy you are going to be in trouble for that comment. haha Great looking chuckies there.

beercheer.gif

beercheer.gif

Thanks Dude!

Bear

OH boy you are going to be in trouble for that comment. haha Great looking chuckies there.

beercheer.gif

Nah---After 42 years, I can get away with little stuff.

Bear

They look great Bear!   Saw some massive 7 bones the other day.  Might have to put another chuckie on the to do soon list.

icon_cool.gif

Very nice there Bear. I don't like either the Mccormick brand seasoning either but my wife like Mrs Dash's stuff thou. She has to keep them in another cabinet and not in my spice rack.

Nice looking chuckies there Bear. As for the part we don't eat, I'm sure someone will come up with a fat sammie. They look like a perfect size for a burger bun.   
icon_mrgreen.gif

Last edited:
Thank You Mark, FW, Porked, RdKnB, and Craig for the kind words.

You guys are Great!

Bear

Awesome looking Chuckies, Bear! I plan to do a couple on Saturday. I have a 6X8 AMNS I want to break in. Would it be enough smoke to light only 2 rows? What kind of sauce is that you are using. Looks great.

Awesome looking Chuckies, Bear! I plan to do a couple on Saturday. I have a 6X8 AMNS I want to break in. Would it be enough smoke to light only 2 rows? What kind of sauce is that you are using. Looks great.
GR,

When I foil them at about 165˚/170˚, my favorite mix to add to each package (after bringing to boil):

1 ounce of Sweet Baby Ray's (could be a different BBQ sauce)

1 ounce of Ken's Teriyaki Marinade

3 ounces of Apple Juice

2 ounces of water

That plus the meat juices that accumulate in the package make a Great Au Jus.

Just separate the fat from it & it is great!

If you get your AMNS burning right, lighting both ends should be plenty of smoke.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky