Turkey Smoking Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seboke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 11, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
My wife decided to be nice and buy the Christmas turkey last night, saving me a trip today. I was planning to buy a 12 lb turkey to smoke. Having never smoked a turkey, I'm reading everythng I can find on doing it right. The problem is the nice lady bought a 16.75 lb bird. What I have read is do not go over 14 lbs to keep things safe to eat. Anyone have experience with smoking a big bird or should I get another one for Christmas dinner and figure out something to do with the big one i have now?

Thanks,
Ken

progress.gif

Ken; Being that it is your first attempt and the limits are being strectched go for a 10 - 12 pounder....Don't know what smoker you have either.

I would not put one that large in mine
icon_rolleyes.gif

Marvin provides some good advice. That's a large bird for the smoker especially if you plan to cook it low and slow (225-250). I'd try a smaller bird and if you want crispy skin raise the temp to 300.

I bought a 7 lb. breast to start out with. I have never smoked a turkey either, I have always deep fried them. I think I will start out small for my first one. Don't want to screw it up the first time out.

in november i did 2 18 pound turkeys i brined both birds and smoked them both at 300-350 they turned out great i used hi mtn poultry brine that stuff is awesome i will be doing a 12 pound turkey for christmas dinner using the same brine i am also going to do 2 10 pound store bought hams i have two full days of smoking to do yet good luck

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky