Turkey Legs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

navyjeremy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Goose Creek, SC
Hey ya'll I am going be smoking some (4) turkey legs for the fourth and I am looking for any pointers that I can get. I have only used the GOSM one time before and that was this past weekend and I now know what I need to do but any pointers would be great....wood, cook time, cook temp, brine, rub any info would be greatly appreciated

Here's a brine that I used for turkey legs.
1 qt. of orange juice, frozen is OK
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 bay leaves
heat to 150* to help dissolve sugars
add cold water to cool
brine turkey for 12 to 24 hours
smoke at 350* with a little cherry wood
foil legs individually at 160*, cook till really tender.

Here's a brine an spritz I use, feel free ta use it er modify it ta yer likin:

Slaughterhouse Poultry Brine

1 1/2 Gal Water
1/2 C Salt
1/2 C Dark Brown Sugar
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Cajun Spice
2 tsp Celery seed

Slaughterhouse Spritz

8 oz Apple Cider
6 oz Water
4 oz Whiskey
2 oz Cider Vinegar

The spritz heps keep the meat moist, adds nice sheen an flavor.

An Ifin ya wanna make the legs extra yummy, mix up a batch a Honey/Butter Glaze.

It's simple, equal parts a honey an melted butter, brush on them legs right after they come outa the smoker, let sit fer bout 30 minutes, mighty fine vittles!

Why fore yall only doin 4? Doem by the dozen, they keep real nice in the ice box, excellent snack!

I brine mine overnight in the ice box, give em a quick rinse an a pat dry, sprinkle some rub on em an in the smoker ta bout 165*. I like hickory fer turkey, but it is a stronger wood, apple, cherry, maple would all be nice to.

May the smoke gods smile upon yer cooker!

To load it here from photobucket you just need to click and copy the one that has the img tags on it, then paste here. Or you can copy the direct link. Click on the
insertimage.gif
thing above, and the paste the image in the box that pops up. It will then look like this.

Not sure why the first one is not posting right but here it is.

OK the first one just doesn't want to work right.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky