Turkey help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cuzco

Original poster
Nov 23, 2015
Hi guys and gals,

I have been smoking meats and birds for several years now but having seen many pictures here I have a question about keeping the skin brown vs the pretty black skin I end up with. I use a brinkman wood smoker. Turkey always tastes great but the skin is much darker than the birds I have seen here.

Any suggestions would be great!

Hi guys and gals,

I have been smoking meats and birds for several years now but having seen many pictures here I have a question about keeping the skin brown vs the pretty black skin I end up with. I use a brinkman wood smoker. Turkey always tastes great but the skin is much darker than the birds I have seen here.

Any suggestions would be great!
Howdy Cuzco.  Some woods such as cherry wood will turn the skin a darker color.  In my opinion the skin color is a matter of preference. 

Different woods aside, You may  giving the bird too much smoke. Remember to build your fire and let it settle down to coals  getting your smoker up to temp ( say 225 - 250) before you put the bird on the grate. Gradually Add enough wood while your cooking to get a thin smoke out of your smoker. If it bellowing out then your smoking too heavy. 

Last edited:
Reactions: cuzco
I used apple wood today and just got one of the prettiest birds I have ever done. Apple may be my go to wood for doing birds from now on. I also used BD's advice of getting to heat and really only using a "hint of smoke" and it worked!

Also stuffed it with citrus fruit/apples/rosemary/thyme.

Cannot wait to get to the in-laws to eat!

Nice looking Bird    Good Job             
points1.png

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky