turkey emergency

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

papadoc72

Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Hi all,
I brined my 12 lb'r for 12 hours.
Put it in the smoker this morning at 9:30 as my wife told me that we were eating at about 2:30....
Now she just tells me that we are eating at about 5:00...
Right now the turk is about 150° in the thickest part of the breast...
I am smoking at about 250°.....
Should I just go ahead and finish it, then wrap it in foil and put in a cooler?
Or should I wrap it up and put it in the fridge.
This isn't our main turkey, more of a side turkey....lol
I don't want to make anyone sick, but I also don't want to have people eating turkey dust..... lol
Any suggestions?
Thanks
-Brett-

250* seems WAY high to me. I am smoking mine to 160*.

I would suggest pulling it when it gets to the right temperature, then re-heat to warm.

lol, you were worrying me..
I re-read my post and I guess I did write it a little confusing..
I am running the smoker at 250°....
I will pull the turkey out when he gets to 165°..
When I pull him, should I wrap and put in the fridge for the 2 hours, then pull and reheat in oven?
Or just wrap in foil and put in a cooler until right before eating time?
Thanks for your help.
-Brett-

Brett,

When you pull him, he will continue to cook about 5* more. I am pulling mine at 160. I would go the cooler route. I would not put him in the fridge. Just my opinion though.

You could also knock the smoker down to 225*. That would prolong the cooking period.

LOL, I am glad that I am not the only one in this boat...... I was coming here with the same question........ my 12#er got to 169 and I pulled her, wrapped her in foil, a blanket and put her in the cooler...... were were supposed to eat at 1........ now that has been pushed back to 3
I hope this thing turns out ok it seems a bit crispy on the bottom, I might have let the smoker get to hot....... oh well, theres turkeys in the oven for backup along with a ham

Happy thanksgiving everyone!!!!!!!!

lol, that is funny.
My turkey is coming out right now, going into foil , and then into a cooler.
It looks and smells awesome.
For the last 3 hours or so, I've been painting it with maple syrup and butter...
It looks like a candied turkey..
Happy Thanksgiving all and thanks for the help
-Brett-

i just did a turkey breast that got done early.. wrapped it in foil thea a good thick towel and into the cooler sat ther for 3 hours till eating time and it was still to hot to handle when slicing it

yep my turkey came out great as well, let her sit in the cooler wrapped in a blanket for 3 hours and when I pulled it my hands were not expecting it to be so hot so i had to play hot potato with it to the cutting board...... hope everyone had a great day, its 2am here and im tryin to stay up cuz I go on nights tommorrow night, its quite a transition gettin up at 8am and tryin to stay up this late. especially when one has been eating turkey all day/night LOL not to mention I was out til midnight lastnight at the Guns N Hoses boxing match I might also add that the Cops won 10 bouts to 7 :P :lol:

Brett-do you have a recipe for that maple syrup and butter basting mix? Or are you just basting it with butter then basting it with the maple syrup?

Glad to see you new folks relying on your coolers to keep your foods hot. If done properly, it will keep foods hot for 4 hours or longer.

You all can now pay proper homage to us "old birds" that advocate the use of the cooler. :mrgreen:

And we appreciate it Dutch. As they used to say in the old Mike Myers movie .... "We are not worthy". Seriously though, the cooler tip is one of the best things I've tried. No matter how many times I ask, the wife ALWAYS changes time to eat for one reason or another .....

Also, here's a basting butter I use:

1/2 cup of unsalted butter(125ml)
1/4 cup lemon juice(60ml)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard(15ml)
1/4 cup maple syrup(60ml)
salt and pepper to taste

(Note: the mls are for my Canadian friends - LOL)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky