Turbinado Sugar vs Brown Sugar

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gooose53

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 17, 2007
When a recipe calls for brown sugar or even white sugar is the measurements the same? ex: 1/4 cup brown sugar = 1/4 turbinado sugar

normally brown sugar is called for it to be packed in the measurment.and white is just scooped and used.

Yep, I've found the two to be interchangable. However, I would note that while I've always been a big fan of Sugar in the Raw, I only use it now for long smokes (like Boston Butts). The last few times I used dark brown sugar for my rubs and found that I got a better crust.

That's sort of what I was looking for....thanks Geek!!

If you want equal measurements, you need to use weight instead of volume. Find out how much .25 cups of brown sugar weighs and them use the same amount of Turbinado or white.

Now that's something I had not thought about....good tip!! I do have a scale so that will be easy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky