Tube bacon...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

larryp

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Ontario, Canada
2000 grams bacon, ground twice through a 3/16" plate.

500 grams pork butt, ground once through the same plate.

The two mixed together along with 15 grams dark brown sugar and 8 grams coarse ground black pepper.

Fry test... this is some good stuff.

Stuffed into 32/35 hog casings and linked.

I think a trip through the smoker would have been really nice with these but weather is not permitting today and it's back to work tomorrow so they'll be used as fresh sausages. If the weather had cooperated and I could have smoked them, I would have added 6 grams of prague #1 to the mix. The fry test told me there's still a nice level of smoke flavor in them from the bacon and the flavor is really nice. I'm calling them a success... but next time I hope to get them in the smoker.

Reactions: crazymoon
This looks great and I was just thinking about doing something similar. Why did you add the plain pork to it instead of just the bacon by its self?

My plan was to and cure and brown sugar to some ground pork I have and then put it in the cloth smoking bags and smoke it like I would bacon. Make patties and fry it like normal bacon. Will this work?

Thanks Nick

Great God of  bacon snausage  - Oh man yummy great job 
77.gif

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS 

This looks great and I was just thinking about doing something similar. Why did you add the plain pork to it instead of just the bacon by its self?

My plan was to and cure and brown sugar to some ground pork I have and then put it in the cloth smoking bags and smoke it like I would bacon. Make patties and fry it like normal bacon. Will this work?

Thanks Nick
I hoped the plain pork would cut the richness a bit and give it a more meaty flavor, which it did. I probably could have even gone 3:2 instead of 4:1 and been happy. These aren't planned for breakfast sausages, I'm going to grill them and serve them on homemade pretzel rolls. I don't see any reason why what you're wanting to do wouldn't work but it's not something I've actually done. I like the idea though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky