Trying Outside Round Roasts .. May12

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

squeezy

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 17, 2005
Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
Found a 2 and 3 lb outside round roasts @ $1.99 lb. CDN (ground beef price here) ... going to treat them like brisket 'cause they're almost as tough as one ..
icon_lol.gif

Used a simple basic rub (no mustard)
It will be interesting to see how long they will take ... could be a late dinner!
Got them started @ 9 am
502xxxpimxxxhf9.jpg

No prestart pics, but will at least have finish pics ... stay tuned ...

After a 9 hour smoke, there was only 15 minutes difference between a 2 lb and a 3 lb roast ...interesting!
Good bark and smoke ring, but drier than expected. Finished to 205º, foiled at 160º to 165º
I'm wondering if foiling earlier, say between 140º to 150º would have retained more moisture.
Three of us consumed the 2 pounder and as I write this I haven't pulled the 3 pounder ... thought I'd give it a bit more time. Perhaps it may be better ... will see.
On to the pics

Just before foiling

Before pulling the 'lil 2 pounder

...and pulled

Cheers
foodsmiley004bw7.gif

Can't wait to see the pics Squeezy... bring on the meat!

Keep Smokin

Never heard of one,what is an outside round roast ? I've been around a kitchen a pretty long time. I'm curious. Is this a regional term?

It's a butcher's term and I'm in Ontario if that makes any difference!!!
We have inside as well as outside and eye of ... like I could tell the difference ... LOL
I think you will find different terms from one area to another ... in this case we are talking about "round" in general.

I can't wait to hear how this turns out. That's a tough cut of meat. It was always the crock pot for me with a round roast

Squezzy, that looks mighty good to me. From that pic, I would not say that meat was dry. If the second one is dry, send it to me and I will moisten it up with slobber.

I just unfoiled the second one @ 10:30 ... kinda forgot about it with a full belly and all! It felt firm enough to slice ... and so it is!
I'm just going to slice off what we need rather than pull it.
Taste is great, aroma too and I have enough of my own slobber to render that meat thanks ... I can handle it
icon_lol.gif

thanks for your offer of help

Squezzy that looked pretty dang good to me. As far as being dry I did a brisket once and it was kinda dry so I put it in a pan and poured a can of Dr Pepper in with it. covered with foil and put it in the oven. Heated at 200* for 1 hr and it was very moist and juicy and no Dr Pepper taste.

Squezzy, That looks great!! I'm glad it turned out well, now I have something besides a brisket in the beef family I can smoke.

I wouldn't bother with round again, unless of course it is real cheap !!!!
I want to try a chuck roast next, should be as good as a pork butt, being they are both off the shoulder and usually not too expensive ...
Anyone else have experience with a chuck roast?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky