Trying a first fatty

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

malcojester

Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
Ok guys I am going to try my first fatty and atb's today and want some opinions.

What type of meat saugsage, italian sausage, or hamburger would you suggest and also to add rub or not, and your reasons? If adding rub what type as I am a smoker newbie. I do not have a chili rack so is it ok to slice the jalopanos in half and fill with cream cheese then wrap in bacon?

Thanks in advance looking forward to answers and responses as it looks like this is a great board with lots of good info.

As for type of meat you can use so many things.
Personally I grab a chub of suasage from the store, did 2 yesterday (I'll post later) one was with Jimmy Dean seriously bold sausage and the other was with Bob Evans extra hot sausage. You can use burger in them as well but I always go for all sausage.
If you want to add a rub to the top you could do that as well, any favorite rub would work but not a big deal if you do or don't.
With the ABTs I always cut mine in half, fill with mixture and wrap with bacon but the bacon I nuke for a few second to partially cook it and then wrap that way you are sure to have the bacon come out crispy.
With the cream cheese mixture I mix in some cheddar or cheddar jack shredded cheese mix and some rub.
If you don't have a rub handy then it is perfectly fine to leave it out as well.
Hope some of this helps and good luck with the smoek.

I always cook my jalapenos in half sideways you get more stuffing mixture in them. I have used cream cheese, potatoe, carrots, onions and bacon bits mixture and they turned out really good. I wrap mine with just cheap thin cut bacon cause you use it to hold things together more than for flavor. the jalapeno will over power them anyway. Now to your fattie I have used hot italian sausage, breakfast sausage and hamburger meat in differant fatties. There is no real way to make a fattie it is just the way you make a fattie. All the ingredence are up to you and go wild I have seen some really off the wall ones in here. Just go for it. You'll love it

The 2009 Fattie Throwdown just ended, do a search for threads on fatties and look at a few, they will give you lots of ideas and inspiration...

Fatties are limited only by your imagination...

Welcome! I am a newby here also i just did my first ABT's and fatties thurs. they turned out awesome and i did 7 fatties some with sausage and italian saus. and beef i did a taco one and sprinkeld it with the dry taco meat seasoning tasted great!! Also the ABT's i did cream cheese shredded cheese, chopped up crab meat sliced the japs and added little smokies under the bacon. Delicious!!! Good luck

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky