tryin some pulled beef today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stobra34

Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
so i picked up a chuck roast yesterday, got a rub on it over nite and plan on starting up the smoker here in a few minutes. after seeing some pictures of choices ppl have made for their pulled beef, i believe i may have chosen a roast that does not have quite enough marble going for it. 

id like to be able to pull this very easily when its done, but im afraid i'm already up the creek cause of my poor meat selection. any tips to assure extra tender meat??

a recipe i have said i should keep it tightly wrapped in foil while on the smoker...now, i haven't been smoking that long, but wouldn't that keep all the smoke from getting to the meat?? should i set a rack below to catch all the drippings then add that to wrapped in foil?? 

Chuckies are great pulled. Smoke till 140 and wrap in foil with some liquid and take it to 200, let rest for an hour or two wrapped in a towel and pull away. 
icon14.gif

It may not look like it has enough fat in it for pulling, but if it's a chuck roast it does. Just smoke it on the grate without foil until the internal temp gets to 165, & yes put a pan under it to catch the drippings with beef broth, onions & garlic in it. I like to put a little Worsteshire sauce in it too. Then wrap it in foil with some liquid. You don't need much, just a couple oz. of the drippings will do fine. Then put it back on the smoker until it reaches 205 IT. Leave it in the foil & let it rest on the counter for 1/2 hour or so then pull it. 

thanks for the tips...just pulled it, was at 150...wrapped it up and threw it back on the smoker...now should i keep adding my mesquite chunks or just hold the the temp steady?? can the smoke still get into the meat?

thanks for the tips...just pulled it, was at 150...wrapped it up and threw it back on the smoker...now should i keep adding my mesquite chunks or just hold the the temp steady??No need to add more wood, just hold it steady. can the smoke still get into the meat? Not if it's foiled.
You got any pics of the finished product?

7f87ebe0_SevenBoneChuck048.jpg

I still take them to 160 to 170 before wrapping, but even though there are 7 types of chucks, I found the best thing to assure they will pull is taking them to a 210º internal temp.

0e1d324c_SevenBoneChuck049.jpg

This one pulled great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky