Trussing Rotisserie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RiversideSm0ker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Riverside, Cal
So I have a question for those in the know. Is it necessary to truss every piece of meat that gets cooked on a rotisserie? I plan on buying a rotisserie attachment when I buy my Weber Kettle. This is a kind of cooking I’m really interested in exploring quite a bit. Thanks in advance for your input.

George

No, not every piece of meat. I truss chicken and turkey and that is only to stop the wings from flapping and the legs from running.

Thanks guys. This was one of those Google questions that really didn’t give me much feedback. Chicken, pork loin, maybe a rib roast. These are the kinds of things that I want to try making on a rotisserie.

George

"Flapping" is the main reason I truss. You can often do a chicken without any trussing, except for pinning the wings. The secret is to use spikes at right angles to each other
P1000595.JPG

You can sometimes get one set of spike to go into the legs to hold them, and the other set hold the cavity open so it doesn't flap.

For me George, the answer is mainly no.
Usually the things I would truss, are already tied.
Still... it is a good idea to have you a ball of butchers twine (cotton string) handy in your hidey hole of tricks.

Often, just the tines of the spit will hold well enough to stoppin der floppin.

No need to truss a pork loin. Pork tenderloin yes. But is much easier to do tenderloins over indirect heat on the grate. They'll be done in no time. No need to truss a rib roast. You just need to be mindful of the center of gravity. With larger cuts, I do a dry run on a cold grill first. Nothing sucks more than having the spit rod walk out of the motor socket mid cook.

No need to truss a pork loin. Pork tenderloin yes. But is much easier to do tenderloins over indirect heat on the grate. They'll be done in no time. No need to truss a rib roast. You just need to be mindful of the center of gravity. With larger cuts, I do a dry run on a cold grill first. Nothing sucks more than having the spit rod walk out of the motor socket mid cook.

I thought that was why God made pliers, so's I could tighten the thumb screw tight nuff to keep the spit in the drive. o_O;)
grill-parts-BU1B.jpg

Muh, ha, ha, ha.....

I thought that was why God made pliers, so's I could tighten the thumb screw tight nuff to keep the spit in the drive. o_O;)
grill-parts-BU1B.jpg

Muh, ha, ha, ha.....

I tried using a bushing until it started chewing a hole in my grill so I ditched it.

If you fold back the wings behind the back, they stay in place on a chicken or other poultry. Usually they stay in place by themselves but a simple string holding them taut is sufficient:

tyingwings.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky