trouble with temp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

truebaca

Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
i have a rack of baby back ribs in my smoker. this is my first time using my brinkmann vertical. i think the built in thermometer is wrong. I cant get the temp up to 200. The charcoal pan has about 25 holes drilled into it for better airflow. the coals seem to be burning ok, but im not sure about the temp. should i trust the built in thermometer? should I not use the water pan? Thanks for any help. I hope to get an answer asap. the meat is smoking right now

I would use another therm to test against the original. Most of us replace the original, calibrate it and smoke. If you can use some RO lump or something like it, it'll help bring up your temps, it burns hotter than regular charcoal briquetttes.

truebaca, your gauge is prolly way off as most are. You need a good thermometer for sure. If your coals are hot you can relax a bit cause your ribs will be OK. Do you have any kind of other thermometer around?

beard

i just drilled a hole in the top of the smoker just big enough to stick a meat thermometer in the hole. the temp on this reads about 185. Much higher than the built in. I assume since the meat needs to be about 175 when done that 185 will be ok? how ofter should I add more lump coal (im not using briquettes) and how much wood. I have been putting a couple of hand fulls of hickory ships about every 45 min.

thanks for all the help

I have one and stopped using water in water pan (look up piedmont water pan), put a small grate in the bottom of the charcoal pan, and drilled holes. This has helped dramatically in my vertical brinkmann.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky