TriTip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

frieza79

Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
Sacramento CA
I dont see much about tri tip in these fourms. I have most experience with just grilling them, but I'm going to try to smoke one tomorrow.

Does anyone have experience smoking Tri Tip?
Is it called something else in other parts of the counrty, or just not done? They are really popular in CA, and every grocery store has them.

I've done quite a few, we love them! I smoke them like anything else, but I pull them off at about 155-160*(we like med-well to well done), wrap in foil and let rest. We bought a slicer mostly just for tri-tip. I like to slice it thin as I can and the taste is awsome! It's right up there w/brisket for us.

I gotta go spray, but I'll be back w/some "refreshments" and talk to ya more about tri-tip.

They are hard to find where I'm at. I have one place that I get it and I buy it by the bag full, usually about 15-16#. Amazing taste from something that isn't as popular in my area.

See ya later

Hello Freiza 79.

I'm from Sacto myself. I just joined this forum today and have learned tons. We just love tri tip. I put a rub on em and slow cook on my grill at 225.

My smoker is supposed to be delivered today and I cant wait to get smokin this weekend.

Jeff
PDT_Armataz_01_24.gif

You can smoke them grill them what ever your preference is. I prefer to grill because I like to crisp up the outside.

I grew up just south of you in Ripon and Tri tips are easier to find there than they are out here in Michigan.

Nothing quite like Tri tip in my mine they are awesome

done a few- i slice it in 1/2 use bolner's fiesta fajita season w/ onion, garlic, & 2-4 cups water(replacing as steamed out) simmered over low for 4-7 hrs w/ a cube of beef boullion.shred down, add @ the end 5 tbsp(per 5lb tritip) fiesta carne quisada season- simmer until thickened & fridge until the next day - makes the best carne guisada....

We had a ton of threads a few months back on Tri Tips. I think everyone found them excet me! From what I heard they where great! Do a search on Tri Tip.

Haven't had tri-tip yet, dont sell many in yankee land
PDT_Armataz_01_10.gif
but was in kroger yesterday and they had this little chunk of roast, about 3# labeled tri-tip..........i'll wait till i can get a full sized piece
icon_biggrin.gif

Bubba, turn your butt right back around and get some of those! What the heck is wrong with you!?!! LOL
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

Thats about how big they are, not big on size, but HUGE on taste.

Here's some pics of some I did http://lonefarm.myphotoalbum.com/vie...umName=album05

Tri-tip is well worth the cost. It doesn't take long to smoke either. Not going to be as tender as brisket smoked to 205*, but the taste is just amazing. It really is.

Smoke it to how you like your steak, slice thin cross grain, eat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky