Tritip advice??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

raven1911

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
First time smoking Tritip today. I need some advice. I have a 2.2 lb piece. I would love to know how long and at what temp to do it. I am going to do ribs at the same time so I am figuring my smoker would be at 225 deg? How long should the tritip take at that weight?

Thanks guys. Happy New Year!

Been a while since I did tri-tip, but I did them at 225*, fat down til internal temp of 150-155(we like our meat more done than most). Then slice as thin as possible against the grain. I would guess 2-3hrs.

Don't over due the rub. Tri-tip has excellent taste w/nothing but salt and pepper.

Good luck, it will be good.

I prefer to do my tri-tips at a higher temp like between 350 and 400 for around 40 minutes or so. I find they tend to dry out too much for me when I cook them at the lower temps so I just do them on the grill with big hickory chunks off to the side. The last one I did like this was the best tri-tip I have ever had.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky