trimmed butt?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

twistertail

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Central Ohio
Do you guys trim the fat off your butts? I had never done it before but the one I did last weekend seemed like it had more fat on it than normal so I trimmed it up and really liked the results. I always throw all the fat away when I pull it so I was throwing away alot of the part that had the rub on it. I think since I trimmed the fat it exposed more meat to the smoke and got more rub on the meat instead of the fat. So I think next time I'll trim as much fat off before I rub it. Seems like there is still enough fat in the but that it would still be moist if I trimmed off the outside fat, right?

I don't. I will trim off any "gross" stuff on there, like veins or the odd cartiledge looking chunk, but other than that I don't trim butts.

My prefrence is to trim off as much excess fat as possible. Yes it does expose more of the meat to smoke and rub. Pork in itself has alot of fat running through the meat fibers, especially the butts. I also try to get as much of the silver skin off as I can to.

EDIT: I don't trim absolutly every piece of fat, just the big stuff and any cartilage and the hard section usually in the middle as well as the skin. I don't think it would be possible to get all the fat off. And like I said, pork in itself is fatty throughout the fibers. So trim if you like.

I never have trimmed the fat/fatcap off. However this past weekend the pork butt I picked up didn't have the usual fat on it. It still came out great and I had more bark to it then when there is alot of fat that I just end up taking off anyway at the end of the smoke.

If there is a pronounced fat cap, and plentiful marbling, I will trim. I save the trimmings for adding fat to leaner ground meats for sausage. Always try to leave an eighth or so for a cap tho.

I trim.

Also, the last butts I did were cut in to halves thickness-wise. So I had 4 halves instead of two wholes. More bark and smoke penetration. Came out great. Only two of the halves have bone-in. But overall, an extremely successful experiment.

I don't trim, fat cap down and not much rub. Sounds bad but the 2nd step is what makes good pulled pork into FANTASTIC PULLED PORK.

2nd step: After it is smoked, pulled, and put in fridge over night.........start the smoker again. I use an alum pan and fill it 1/2 full or so. I then get my rub ready, mix up a 4:1 ratio of apple juice and cider vinegar. Add rub and mixture as needed (every 30-45 min) and taste test. I put just enough mixture in to get it good and moist. Add rub to taste. Mix it up everytime you check it. Then freeze or eat.

This step adds more smoke flavor and rub and has really improved my pulled pork. If you have to add bbq sauce then you better do better next time, it just won't need it.

You only trim your butt if you are making ham.
If you have too much excessive fat, Then it's poor cut selection.
When choosing a butt, You should only have one layer of fat at the bottom.
The rest of the cut will have marbling.

After you have smoked it, You can separate the fat when pulling or slicing.

You'll want all that fat to protect the meat from temp spikes.

Butt hey, What do I know?

I'm with Debi. I usually will trim some fat off of almost any cut, low & slow won't dry it out as long as it doesn't go too long.

That sounds good BigAL, I am gonna try that the next time. Twice smoked HAS to be good. I wonder how it would be with 2 parts apple juice, 1 part cider vinegar, 1 part Captain Morgan? I like the apple juice but good Lord it drives up the blood sugar.
icon_eek.gif
mad.gif

Only thing I will trim is "silver skin". I leave the fat alone unless there is gobs of it, Then I will trim it to about a thickness of 1/8 inch. then rub and smoke.
Ron

I HATE FAT! I trim that big ole hunk off to a thin layer and peel off all that icky stretchy stuff and let my meat take the smoke. Butts have plenty of fat and they're always juicy and I never have to add liquid to my butts juice.

The last serveral months the butts around here were more fat than meat - really upsets me, but that's all there is!

LOL, Terry!!! LMAO!!!

The butts I get don't have but MAYBE a 1/4" fat cap. The second smoke does wonders for me.

Terry, I've also used orange juice(same sugar I suppose), and beer. Watch the ratio w/vinegar........too much of a good thing can be bad.......ie beer, butts(
PDT_Armataz_01_14.gif
), the capt'n, and tequila.
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

Later

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky