Tri-Tip w/Qview, I Found Smoking Nirvana

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

solar

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 26, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
If you've never smoked a Tri-Tip (TT) I suggest you put it on your list, this was one of the best smokes I've done so far. My friend is from California and he couldn't talk enoug about TT's, so I found one and did it.

I bought a 2½ lb TT and soaked it in a basic marindae for 24 hours. Sliced up some green peppers, onions, and mushrooms, and tossed them in some EVOO and put them in a loaf pan. Trimmed up some con on the cob, and put the whole works on the smoker.

Here's a pic of the TT just as it hit the smoker, (I forgot to get pics of the TT in it's raw form).

Here's all the gub at once, and take note how high the veggies are heaped in the pan.

I pulled the TT at 148° and foiled it and wrapped it in towels and placed it in a cooler to rest.

Here's the veggies and corn after a good 4 hours, notice how much the veggies have shrunk since the first picture.
wink.gif

I know this picture might seem gross, but this really made me laugh, my cat Spike decided to make himself at home on top the the cooler with the TT in it and keep guard. The TT was tightly wrapped in foil and towels so there wasn't a chance of kitty hair or any funk, and he never got into the cooler, I made sure of that. LOL

So here is where it gets really good, after a hour the TT was unfoiled and sliced, and it was wonderfull. The thicker parts were a perfect medium rare, and worked into a nice medium on the thinner parts.

The best way I can discribe the flavor and texture was, "It was like cutting into a Prime Rib/Tenderloin with the flavor of a Sirloin". Even my California friend was very impressed.

It was fantasic!! No left overs.

Looks awesome nice job
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks Piney, what I really liked about doing a TT is that it takes only a few hours and the rewards are plentiful.
smile.gif

I forgot to mention it was richosol that gave me the idea to finally try this. I'd heard of TT before but only from my friend from CA, but it was richosol put me over the top to try it.
icon_cool.gif

I've been sick for the last three days and not eating anything, and your pictures have been the first thing that makes me hungry! Looks like I need to add a TT to the ToO-Do list.

Good job!

Thanks for the link Slick, nice job on that Tri-tip Solar. Outta pints right now, but I will deal em when I steel some back!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Nice job on the TT. I have to agree about it being a great cut that doesn't take a long time.

Hey Solar,
That tt looks really great! we arepretty lucky out here it is a regular cut o'beef around these parts..and yes they do smoke really quick..finally after two or three attempts I finally got it right...they are yummy, I think I still like them on the bbg grill over smoking...try one that way..over indirect heat..good stuff! Richoso, is a good man to turn ya onto a tri!!
Great job!!

try tip being as lean as it is, you did a good job seeing it Med-Rare like that, bet that was "TENDER" like pime rib or even better then prime rib.

thumbs up +5 on that cookout
wink.gif
now thats making me hungry
biggrin.gif

Thanks everyoen for the compliments.

I'm going to be doing a few more before the year is done, and I'm thinking of doing 2 of them for a football tailgate party on my Weber Kettle. I'm going to do the veggies the exact same way, and slice the TT thinner and wrap in torilla's with the veggies and some guacamole.
biggrin.gif

Now you're talkin' tailgate my friend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky