Tri-Tip Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dbarnett66

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
I am smoking two trimmed tri-tips in my drum smoker tomorrow. I will also have 2 pork butts tomorrow on the bottom rack with the tri-tip on the top rack.

How long should the tri-tip take? I feel comfortable with the pork shoulders taking about 9 to 10 hours. I want to know when to put the tri-tips on so they finish with porl shoulders. I must warn you that my wife does not like pink meat, so these tri-tips will most likely go into foil. Any idea on finishing temps for the tri-tip? Would 180 be good for slicing? I don't mind pink meat, but the wife does.......
icon_redface.gif

My experience is that tri tips are MUCH, MUCH better done on the grill. Cook 15 minutes with fat side down and then flip and take them up to about 125 (after sitting for about 20 minutes they will get up to about 135 and be a perfect medium rare). The tri tips ive smoked came out far less flavorful then those ive done on the grill. As a matter of fact, I just did one last night. Marinated over night in red wine vinegar, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, olive oil & oregano. I know that didn't really your answer your question but I thought I would chime in as I haven't really enjoyed tri tip on the smoker.

Just did one on the smoker tonight. I pull em at 140, foil for 20-30 minutes then slice it up. I tried alder for the first time, and it was great! 180 is beyond well done. At 160-165 it won't be pink. Just as a side note, it's best to cook by temp as opposed to time.

Sure they can be smoked as described above, but I really prefer them grilled hot-n-fast... Matter of fact, just did a couple of 'em night before last...

Here some pics for ya to see what they looked like.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky