Tri Tip 1st Attempt... overdone but good!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinadam

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013
Appleton,WI
Cooked at 250 for almost 1 hr 45 min. Seasoned it with rocky Mountain prime rib seasoning. Was little much pepper but good for me not the wife. Used my WSM which this is my 3rd time using it and held temp awesome. Took it off at 160 when I got home. I read all these posts about it taking 2 hours at 275 so I wasn't worried about over cooking it but at 240 it was done when we got home. I let it rest for 20 minutes while the fries cooked in the oven. Next time I'll make sure to plan this for when we don't have to go anywhere.

Enjoy the pics. I loved the smoke ring it got from the hickory.

Will make good cold Sammie tomorrow. Very tender piece of meat. Next time I'll guarantee it will be off at 130.

Looks tasty. I run my Mini-WSM at 180 when doing Tri tip. Takes less than 2 hours to get to 130.
I listen to the song called live and learn... should be better 2nd time around. Didn't taste bad by no means but to done for a medium rare guy.

Still learning how to manage the temp better and get it low. I definitely love this 14.5 WSM and will have a 22.5 some day I'm betting.

It looks nice & juicy.

Hard to believe it's that pink at 160.

We like them rare so we pull them off at 120.

Al

Good assumption, when pulled and tented, it will continue to rise approx 5°. If you are a Med-Rare guy then pull somewhere near 125-128°.

It looks nice & juicy.

Hard to believe it's that pink at 160.

We like them rare so we pull them off at 120.

Al
Thanks Al. It was done to much for my liking. I would do the med rare if I had not listened to how long they should take and not baby sit it. It was juicy and very tender.

Good assumption, when pulled and tented, it will continue to rise approx 5°. If you are a Med-Rare guy then pull somewhere near 125-128°.
I will next time as I will make sure I'm around paying attention the whole time!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky