Transporting Meat for a Larger Number of People

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

taraesque

Original poster
Aug 8, 2016
Hello everyone,

I am running a corporate BBQ.  We have already ordered the 114 lbs of meat (pork, beef and chicken) and baked beans from a BBQ caterer.  Now we are trying to figure out how to transport all that.  They are saying we will need more than 10 coolers, and I'm not arguing that.  However, we are short vehicles to to carry that many coolers.   Would it be safe to put them in large insulated shopping bags?  We are picking them up at 9:45 AM and will have some of them out into serving dishes / sterno by 11 AM.  BBQ is over at 12:30.

I know the meat needs to stay above 140 degrees.  I'd rather not be known as the person who gave their whole organization food poisoning....

Thanks in advance!

Given the amount of time between pickup and service you will be fine with cooler bags or a cooler. If you use a cooler like a big igloo I would pour hot water in it and let it set for about 10 minutes then drain. This will get the cooler warm.

I'm not sure those bags are good enough,did you ask your caterer there thoughts?. Are you saving a lot of money not having the caterer do there job? Seems like your making a lot of work for yourself,you most likely already know that. Maybe some coolers on site and just toss the bags and all in there upon arrival would be good enough.

I would also stuff a towel over the meat in the bags to further insulate it. I agree with having more coolers on site too.

That much meat stacked 2+ deep will not drop more than a few degrees in 1 hour on a 80-90 degree day. Whether in a Cooler, Insulated Bags or even in Boxes with towels or blankets draped over. One hour transport is Nothing if everything is hot and you keep hot and cold food separate. Make sure the food starts hot 155+ and you will be fine...JJ

Last edited:
They actually don't deliver, so that's not an option.  They suggested coolers, which we have, but we lack vehicles to transport that many coolers...

Thank you for all the ideas and options!  Its very much appreciated.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky