Transplanted New Mexican newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

damien

Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
Walking the World
What's happening guys? I am Damien, currently living in Rio Rancho, NM (just outside Albuquerque). As mentioned in the title, I am a transplant, originally raised in Duluth, MN. I moved to New Mexico for work as a Firefighter/Driver Operator at Kirtland Air Force Base. Growing up in the midwest, My dad smoked a lot of salmon and trout. While I've been down here, I've missed that taste of home so I tried to build my own trash can smoker. My first project in that trash can was a pork shoulder I wanted to do for the guys at work. The resulting shoulder was a mix of success and failure. 2 hours after starting it, I could not maintain the heat to the temperature I needed as it was running cool. After another hour I decided to finish the roast on a grill. The meat was outstanding with a great smoke flavor and a beautiful smoke ring but was tough as I hadn't cooked it long enough to break down and let the fats render.. (I think I had it on for around 4 hours on the grill).. Fast forward to yesterday, I picked up a 30" masterbuilt electric smoker and plan on popping it's cherry tonight smoking 2 filet mignon's before finishing them on the grill and again on thursday torturing my coworkers with another go at a pulled pork shoulder.  Wish me luck!

welcome1.gif
To the fun you will enjoy this site lots of great info on smoking. And super people too.

Reactions: damien
Oddly, I didn't have a cursor when I wrote my original post and it would not let me separate my wall of text into paragraphs. I've messed with the quick reply buttons and now can do both. Sorry for the wall of text in my previous post.

-Damien

Damien-welcome to SMF. Trash can smokers can be tricky at best, if you really want that type of smoker you may want to check out the UDS section of the forum.  We have a lot of watt burners here that use the MES so you'll find a lot of tips and tricks for that smoker as well.  Sign up of the free 5-day ecourse-it is loaded with a wealth of information.

Enjoy the smoke!

I'm right down the hill from you and new here myself. If you've worked as a firefighter on Kirtland for more than a couple of years then you ought to know Jim L. Instead of actually posting his very unique last name, I'll just say that he is retired, likes Irish Whiskey, has his FFL and speaks with a very pronounced Wisconsin accent.

Garand555,

I've only been with the dept for a year. I may have met Jim once or twice at a party my BC was holding, but nothing is sticking out.

-Damien

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Also for those of you new to smoking,  Get a good Probe Thermometer as we smoke by Temperature NOT TIME.

A good choice for a remote dual probe thermometer is the Maverick ET-732

Hello, and welcome to the SMF. I'm sure you'll enjoy that MES, and be sure and give it a seasoning before you smoke any food in it. It's all good my friend.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys..

[quote name="richoso1" url="/forum/thread/105511/transplanted-new-mexican-newbie#post_620842"]
be sure and give it a seasoning before you smoke any food in it.
[/quote]

It's the first thing I did when I got it set up.

-Damien

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky