• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Trailer mounted smoker project

Regimental Fabrication

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 18, 2020
Howdy all!

Just joined the forum (probably overdue), and am currently neck deep in a trailer mounted, sidebox, reverse flow smoker build. Figured this group would appreciate it.

The cook chamber is 66" × 30" x 20ish", and 3/16" thick. Reverse flow baffles are 1/4" plate.

The fire box is 30" × 24" × 20", 1/4" thick.

This is my first build...this is my first BBQ/smoker build. LOL. I'm a fairly accomplished welder/fabricator. That said, this whole project is a learning process.

I'll be updating with pics as I go. Input is welcome. There are probably things I haven't thought of.

Attachments

Regimental Fabrication

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 18, 2020
Thanks, all.

It's been a bit nerve-racking to have taken on such a large scale project as my first go of it, but I'm fairly certain it'll work as intended when it's done.

Picking up the trailer on Monday and starting to reinforce where needed, but the next design hurdle for me will be the latch for the fire box door.

Once that's done, then it's onto the home stretch. Finishing up the lid (which is only tacked together right now) and final fit/welding the sub-assemblies together.

Archnemysis

Joined Jul 5, 2020
Thanks, all.

It's been a bit nerve-racking to have taken on such a large scale project as my first go of it, but I'm fairly certain it'll work as intended when it's done.

Picking up the trailer on Monday and starting to reinforce where needed, but the next design hurdle for me will be the latch for the fire box door.

Once that's done, then it's onto the home stretch. Finishing up the lid (which is only tacked together right now) and final fit/welding the sub-assemblies together.
If you will take some advice from a newbie, Take a look at the latches on the Masterbuilt 560. The thing I love is the ability to operate with just the thumb and forefinger. One handed operation is a dream.

Regimental Fabrication

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 18, 2020
Looking Great so far!!
Gonna weigh a few pounds!
Be Back.

Bear
You are 100% correct. It's going to weigh a bit.

Just the skin (no weld, brackets, grates, etc) will end up right around 900 lbs. I'm guessing it'll end up between 1300-1500 when all is said and done. Not counting the trailer.

When I began, my biggest concern was making sure that the sub-assemblies could be handled by two people. I didn't have the time to build a lift at this point, and I have an aversion to being crushed by falling steel projects.

Regimental Fabrication

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 18, 2020
If you will take some advice from a newbie, Take a look at the latches on the Masterbuilt 560. The thing I love is the ability to operate with just the thumb and forefinger. One handed operation is a dream.
I've seen those latches, and had given them some thought. I will probably use something similar for the cook chamber access door, but I wanted something a bit more stout for the fire box. This rig is going to end up many states away, and being a first attempt, l am favoring an over-engineered approach. LOL. I would feel bad if something broke or melted or couldn't handle the distortion.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. Newbie or not, there are many people out there who know things that I don't (please don't tell my wife). Hell, I'm a smoker build newbie.

Regimental Fabrication

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 18, 2020
Alright! Finally...after two pandemic related delays...the customer set a pick up date for this beast!

Last Thursday was the day, so the week prior was a whirlwind of progress....

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.