Traeger pellet smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Up-In-Smoker

Original poster
Jun 5, 2022
I have a Traeger tabletop pellet smoker. I follow the lighting instructions. I use Traeger pellets. After 20 or so minutes, the smoker stops burning and loses temperature. It does not reignite and stops the smoking process. The auger continues and fills the burn pit with pellets. Anyone else have this issue?

If it lights, the ignitor has to be fine. Either the controller is doing something funky and shutting the fan down or feeding too many pellets, or something. Once it's lit, the fan is supposed to keep the fire going.

Fan working? Exhaust open?
Yes. Fan blower working. Auto exhaust so not closed. I ignite on smoke setting. Leave there. After 15 or 20 minutes stops burning. Temp rises to close to 300° then drops back down. Not sure if getting too hot and burning pellets in auger??

If it lights, the ignitor has to be fine. Either the controller is doing something funky and shutting the fan down or feeding too many pellets, or something. Once it's lit, the fan is supposed to keep the fire going.
Yes. I am confused as supposed to ignite, then auto run.

I’m in line withJake and Doug. I’ve never had a problem with my Traeger, but after reading around a bit the common theme I’m seeing is; “You might also find that the firepot is full, meaning the fire just happened to go out at some point. If this happens often, you should contact customer service.” It’s a pain considering how much money they cost, but probably the best route.

Can you verify if your auger is constantly turning? If so it's a controller issue overfilling the fire pot and smothering the fire

I’m in line withJake and Doug. I’ve never had a problem with my Traeger, but after reading around a bit the common theme I’m seeing is; “You might also find that the firepot is full, meaning the fire just happened to go out at some point. If this happens often, you should contact customer service.” It’s a pain considering how much money they cost, but probably the best route.
Thank you

So all is well? I was going to suggest leaving the lid open a few inches for the first 15 minutes so it doesn't heat up to 300 so fast. You want to get plenty of embers in the crucible and that takes time. I think you were overfilling the pot AFTER the fire went out.

Not a treager , but mine doesn't like to be started in the smoke setting . When I did that it overfilled the fire pot .

Don't start any pellet machine in Smoke Mode. (And my Masterbuilts make it very easy to adjust the smoke mode's auger timing.)

Reactions: chopsaw
I have had the same issue a couple of times. What I started to do is start it at smoke mode and within a couple of minutes I move it to 180. After that I move it up a notch until I get it to the temp I want. I think at times the pot might get filled to fast and puts out the flame

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky