1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

towels and cooler

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fwsmoker, Nov 12, 2010.

1. i

have smoked several briskets but have never tried the method of resting it in cooler wrapped in towels could someone please explain.

2. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Legendary Pitmaster Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

when you rest the meat it allows the juices to rest in the meat. If you cut it right away there is usually tons of juice on the cutting board. Resting lets that juice stay in the meat. The towels and cooler is to keep it above 140 while resting.

3. richoso1

richoso1 Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Brian is spot on with his explanation. It's all good my friend.

4. scarbelly

scarbelly Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member

Just be careful when you open the foil as it will be full of juice that you want to keep and it will still be very hot to the touch.

5. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Rest = Good

Scar is correct, Keep The Juice

TJ

6. jirodriguez

jirodriguez Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Same process will apply to any big chunks of meat you do butts, chuckies, butts, ect. Let them rest for at least 1 hr., you will be much happier with the results of you work.

7. thanks for all the info you guys are great