Touch up paint on the "new" toy.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xtexan

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Columbus,OH
As most of you know I picked up a new smoker last November. Due to the weather I have only used it a couple of times, and at one point considered selling it. Well the weather is finally breaking here and it is time to do some smoking.....
I went out to look at the smoker and noticed some surface rust on it. I figured this would happen as I heated up all chambers when I first got it to well above 400*( had to burn it out). I'm not sure about the quality of the 1st paint job anyway. So finally my question:
I don't want to haul the smoker to the sandblast pit,pay the $$, etc. Can I just use a grinder then re-paint w/ hi-temp paint?
Thoughts??
Thanks!!

I had sort of the same question - asked the guy who built my cooker and he said just to sand off any bad places and repaint with high-temp paint. My problem was he only put 600 dgree paint on the firebox and it started to bubble. I bought some 1200 degree paint and touched it up. Sounds like you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Good luck!

If you are thinking of painting over top of existing paint including where surface rust is, you should scuff up everywhere you plan on painting. If you don't the new paint will peel off. Hope this helps...
Andy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky