Total Noob

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

guttermouthed

Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
I'm Jack.  Originally from San Diego, my wife and I relocated to Colorado Springs in September last year.  We have a Masterbuilt smoker, but just broke it in over the Memorial Day weekend.  To start things off; I am an amateur.  I enjoy grilling though.  I generally grill 4-5 nights a week.  The usual burgers and steaks and stuff.  No conventional smoking aside from the hotbox I throw on the grill or some chips wrapped in tinfoil.  Some other things I've smoked on the grill include; peaches and goat cheese, lasagna, meatloaf, and miscellaneous pastries and pies.  

To anybody in to this thing, I didn't get to taking pictures of my butt today, sorry.  The roast looks good too.  I did, on the other hand, underestimate the time involved in smoking it.  It looks like a 12am dinner tonight.  I have read and read every pertinent thread on this forum, and I can assure the pros here that this thing looks legit.  I've found that distracting myself with household chores and errands is saving the agony of sitting here drooling over what's calling my name from the smoker.  

Who would have thought smoking meats could become a hobby?.........  My wife didn't buy "smoking meats" as a hobby.

Welcome to SMF. Glad to see you here but I do have one question 

So why would you leave Americas Finest City for Colorado.  Nothing against my friends in Colorado but this is where the rest of the country wants to live LOL 

I don't regret it one bit.

To spare the really gory details, this is the gist of it.....  Combined my wife and I made close to $80k/year.  Between the cost of health insurance, day care, 2 car payments, and $1400 in rent for a 2 bedroom apartment; the weather ins't worth what we pay, the encroaching ghetto is impeding on my security day by day, and the public school system was failing our son.  

In other words....  Due to the cost of living, our life kinda sucked.  We have the opportunity to prosper here.

I don't regret it one bit.

To spare the really gory details, this is the gist of it.....  Combined my wife and I made close to $80k/year.  Between the cost of health insurance, day care, 2 car payments, and $1400 in rent for a 2 bedroom apartment; the weather ins't worth what we pay, the encroaching ghetto is impeding on my security day by day, and the public school system was failing our son.  

In other words....  Due to the cost of living, our life kinda sucked.  We have the opportunity to prosper here.
I was just giving ya a hard time - I did time in Littleton about 40 years ago. Good luck with your new home and get the qview up on the next post

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you've got lots of great information to share with us - Glad you're here!  I always liked San Diego, reminds me a lot of Seattle, the way it's laid out and the neighborhoods.  But So Cal wasn't for us in the long run, either. We love our NW rain and gray! Cheers!

Last edited:
I was just giving ya a hard time - I did time in Littleton about 40 years ago. Good luck with your new home and get the qview up on the next post
I knew you were....  It felt good to get that off my chest.  

To add to the rant earlier....  Southern California weather is overrated (if i hadn't mentioned that already)

Last edited:
Anybody who is successful at getting out of California and into the real world is good in my book.

My best wishes to you and your family Jack.

Good luck and good smoking.

welcome1.gif
    Glad to have you with us!

Hey there! Welcome to you new "hobby" and welcome to SMF. Sounds like your off on a good start. Next time don't forget the q-view!

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

Many of our members have years of experience in smoking meat.  They are more than happy helping Newbies learn the art.

We have members who cure there own Bacon, Hams, Jerky, Snack Sticks, Make Their own Sausage, etc. if you want to learn,
this is the place. 

Don't be afraid to ask questions of them and follow their advice. You won't be sorry, you will be making great Q in no time at all...

Just remember, when curing your own meats follow the instructions included with the cure to the letter, this is not something to experiment with.  

Never use more cure no mater if it is Tender Quick or Cure #1 or Cure #2 than the manufacturer says to use, this can be very dangerous.

Tender Quick and Cure#1 or Cure #2 are not interchangeable, neither Cure #1 interchangeable with Cure #2 or vise versa

Tips For New Members.
  1. Go into your profile and Under Location put where you are.
  2. City & State or Area & State will do. This will help members when answering your questions.
  3. Go to ROLL CALL thread and tell us a little about Yourself (A Name We Can Call You) and Experience & Equipment.
  4. Do Not Post  your other questions and smokes in the Roll Call Forum.
  5. Post your questions and smokes in the Proper Forum, Beef, Pork, Sausage, Electric Smoker, Charcoal Smoker etc.
  6. Use the Wiki Section, many of our members have posted great tutorials and instructional threads so take advantage of them.
  7. When you can't find an answer ask plenty of questions, we have some highly experienced members willing to help you.
  8. When posting about your smokes be sure to post plenty of Qview (Pictures) Our Moto, "No Pics, Didn't Happen".
  9. Get a good Probe Thermometer, Don't Depend on the Built in Thermometer in your Smoker (They are notorious for being off).
  10. A good choice for a remote dual probe thermometer is the Maverick ET-732
  11. Remember, We Always Cook by Temperature and NOT BY TIME...
  12. Sign up for Jeff's 5-Day eCourse.  Click Here
  13. Don't Take Chances, Always Follow USDA Safety Guidelines When Handling Meat.

14. If you are wanting to get into curing meat, there are many members here more than happy to help and give good advice.

15. If you are unsure of a procedure ASK, don't ASSUME, It will make your Smoking experience much more pleasant...

I'm Jack.  Originally from San Diego, my wife and I relocated to Colorado Springs in September last year.  We have a Masterbuilt smoker, but just broke it in over the Memorial Day weekend.  To start things off; I am an amateur.  I enjoy grilling though.  I generally grill 4-5 nights a week.  The usual burgers and steaks and stuff.  No conventional smoking aside from the hotbox I throw on the grill or some chips wrapped in tinfoil.  Some other things I've smoked on the grill include; peaches and goat cheese, lasagna, meatloaf, and miscellaneous pastries and pies.  

To anybody in to this thing, I didn't get to taking pictures of my butt today, sorry.  The roast looks good too.  I did, on the other hand, underestimate the time involved in smoking it.  It looks like a 12am dinner tonight.  I have read and read every pertinent thread on this forum, and I can assure the pros here that this thing looks legit.  I've found that distracting myself with household chores and errands is saving the agony of sitting here drooling over what's calling my name from the smoker.  

Who would have thought smoking meats could become a hobby?.........  My wife didn't buy "smoking meats" as a hobby.
I know it can be  a pain getting a shot of your butt, try using a mirror.

Just ribb'n ya!

Welcome to the Forum, HOPEFULLY your stay will be more rewarding then San Diego.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky