"Too many points in 24 hours"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richtee

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 12, 2007
N. Oakland County, MI
This, my fellow smokers, cooks and general BBQ lovers..is CRAP!

Is it MY FAULT that the entire membership of SMF is producing awesome Q on the same day?

Is it MY FAULT that darn near every answer to a question posted has been applicable, if not dead nuts on?

Is it MY FAULT that folks here are so friendly that even if they are new and bomb a smoke, I give 'em points just to make 'em try again, and not be bummed out?

<OK maybe that one IS my fault>

But DANGIT! I should be able to give 'em as I see fit!
PDT_Armataz_01_02.gif

I guess I'll have to figure out the whole points deal. I'm new enough that I haven't a clue.

I guess I got caught up in the cooking,
smile.gif

its yor fault that i always look for your suggestions cause there mostley right on .
thanks RICHTEE

You know rich you did make alot of good points there. I would give one but only have two. Thanks by the way. I was looking around in c/p this morning trying to figure how to give points well deserved.

You do NOT subtract from yours to give to others..there is an explanation at the top of the main page on rep points :{)

It's not that *I* worry, Don. it's positive strokes for folks, and we all like 'em. Especially new folks who feel uncomfortable and need some confidence or re-assurance. They helped me when I was new..let me know I was doing good...or at least learning. And I have learned ALOT here.

Not to poke fun but, That response had me rolling WhiteCloud.
biggrin.gif

Now as to orginal post. Rich I am right there with ya, Over the past 3 days I have seen that message several times myelf when I try to give points.
Do points really matter...NO! Does it make you a better cook, chef, or Q'er?? NO!!
What it does do, is provide encouragement and support to our fellow Q'er's.

Points should be able to be given to as many people as you see fit with no point limitation within a time period.
If there are 100 good post a day and I feel they are all deserving, then I should be able to express that with points.

I with ya on this one Rich
icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif

Seriously, can someone give us newbies a cliff note version of the points system?

I think I missed orientation
icon_smile.gif

Hey Richtee,People like you deserve points, you speak up and always there to help a fellow smoker like me, my hat is off to you and many others, I learned quite abit about smoking, I just hope I can return the favor someday

Rich:

This came up once before. The point limitation is probably a default to the software not something that was imposed arbitrarily by Jeff so that you can't give as many points as you feel like. As a result, I don't think it is crap. Also believe it or not, there are hundreds of other members here that can give points to people as well in the small span of time you do not have that ability.

If your main purpose was to let your feelings be known to Jeff who is the one person who might be able to change it, you could have simply sent a pm to him. Just as I could have sent a PM to you if my only purpose of this post was to let you know that :)

IMO the new members of this forum gain a lot more confidence and recognition in their abilities by letting them know, on their post, the good and bad aspects of their latest smoking adventure. Or you could even send the a PM without the public message that you sent them points.

Instead all you gained here was the ire of the least senior moderator who thought we were done with posts like this which, in my lowly opinion, serve no useful purpose.

Ummm ahhh..OK. Just..I get fustrated. I was not blaming the setting of limits, I was debating the usefulness of such limits. Especially when I think several folks deserve them, and I cannot give them. I will try to behave.

PS..I'd like to give ya points for this well thought out post... but ;{)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky